crop offset size in vgg16_FCN8s

Joshua Cho

Jun 28, 2017, 5:14:40 PM6/28/17
to Caffe Users
I am following the FCN for semantic segmentation (describe in https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/image-segmentation-using-digits-5/).
For fcn_alexnet, the crop offset size is 18 by calculated backward from last layer.
But I don't understand how I do get the offset value, 5 and 9 in score_pool4c and score_pool3c layers respectively as below
It would be very thankful if somebody help me to how to calculate the below offset number.

Thank you

-Joshua

layer {
name: "score_pool4c"
type: "Crop"
bottom: "score_pool4"
bottom: "upscore2"
top: "score_pool4c"
crop_param {
axis: 2
offset: 5
}
} ...
layer {
name: "score_pool3c"
type: "Crop"
bottom: "score_pool3"
bottom: "upscore_pool4"
top: "score_pool3c"
crop_param {
axis: 2
offset: 9
}
}

Evan Shelhamer

Jun 29, 2017, 5:06:28 PM6/29/17
to Joshua Cho, Caffe Users
The crop offset is determined by coordinate mapping as part of net specification: https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/blob/master/python/caffe/coord_map.py. I'm sorry to say the process isn't further documented at this time and that you will have to refer to this code for the details of how the coordinates are related across layers. If you search for "coordinate mapping" on the mailing list you will find further discussion in older threads.

My advice is to make use of this net spec helper, and not try to do it manually (except as an aid to understanding!). It's a tedious and error-prone process.

Evan Shelhamer

Joshua Cho

Jun 30, 2017, 9:41:06 AM6/30/17
to Caffe Users, cho.ju...@gmail.com
Hello Even,

Thank you for your comments and advices. Can you advice me more details how to make use of net helper for finding the size of crop offset?

Thank you

Joshua Cho

Evan Shelhamer