Accuracy and loss show different trend

jin...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2017, 2:57:42 AM2/11/17
to Caffe Users
Hello everyone!

I am running the FCN network on my own dataset.

Here is a learning curve figure from my output. This looks really wired for me because the validation loss shows a trend for overfitting. But the mean accuracy appears to be quite stable. I tried to change the learning rate, but it didn't really help.

I am puzzled by this question for a long time. Does anyone know the reason?

Thank you!

Jin

kishen suraj P

Feb 11, 2017, 12:41:19 PM2/11/17
to Caffe Users
Won't it depend on the validation dataset you use?
Increasing loss means unstable training.High learning rates perhaps.
What is the type of loss layer you used?

jin...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2017, 9:39:45 PM2/11/17
to Caffe Users
Hi kishen,

Thank you for your reply.
I also think there is something wrong with the training. What I don't understand is why the accuracy didn't decrease while validation loss increased, since high loss means bad performance on the validation dataset.
I tried to change the validation dataset, but got still similar results.
When I decreased the learning rate, the loss unstability got less obvious. It totally disappeared when the learning rate was decreased to 10^-11 or 10^-12, but the accuracy decreased correspondingly.

I am using the softmax loss layer.

在 2017年2月12日星期日 UTC+9上午2:41:19,kishen suraj P写道:

kishen suraj P

Feb 12, 2017, 1:57:19 AM2/12/17
to Caffe Users
On what dataset is accuracy being computed ,Is it validation?

jin...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2017, 3:28:13 AM2/12/17
to Caffe Users
Yes. The accuracy and loss are computed on the same validation set.
I was thinking if I made any mistakes. But I used the original script for computing loss and accuracy, and didn't modify it. So I was confused why they are different.

在 2017年2月12日星期日 UTC+9下午3:57:19,kishen suraj P写道:

kishen suraj P

Feb 12, 2017, 2:18:28 PM2/12/17
to Caffe Users
I doubt that your model might be making predictions which are progressively tending to be constant.
Check that once.

jin...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2017, 2:21:28 AM2/13/17
to Caffe Users
I've checked the output. But actually it's making the right predictions, just as the accuracy indicated. Sometimes the accuracy and output is quite good, but the loss is going pretty high. I don't known why it's behaving like this...

在 2017年2月13日星期一 UTC+9上午4:18:28,kishen suraj P写道: