How well does Caffe perform on CPU such as Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2698 v4 (20 Cores) ?

Hossein Hasanpour

Jan 1, 2017, 7:52:24 AM1/1/17
to Caffe Users
Hello everyone.
How optimized is caffe when it comes to CPU mode? can it properly utilize an increasing number of cpus and cpu cores?
We have access to a server with 2 Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2698 v4 cpus each with 20 physical cores and 40 threads and 48 Gig of DDR4 Ram,  which we want  to use to train our architectures.
So we need  to know whether buying any gpu is still necessary?

Przemek D

Jan 2, 2017, 3:28:30 AM1/2/17
to Caffe Users
Bumping this question. I'm considering applying for compute time on a MVAPICH cluster with several thousand cores - has anyone ever tried that? What performance can I expect?