Interpreting the graph (Overfitting / Loss / Accuracy)

spanky...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 5:33:56 AM7/27/16
to Caffe Users
Hey Guys,

i want to discuss the interpretation of the shown graph. While "techniques to combat overfitting" already have been mentioned in [1] it is not my intention to discussed them here again. The only thing would like to know is:
Why is the accuracy of the val set increasing while the loss of the same becomes more and more worse?

Accuracy and loss of the training set show a strong correlation. If the loss becomes lower the accuracy is increasing. I would expect the same for the validation set.

spanky...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 6:40:04 AM7/27/16
to Caffe Users
By the way...the problem has 27 classes with approx. 1500 images per class.