"caffe.LayerParameter" has no field named "recurrent_param"

Strange Jane

Feb 2, 2016, 12:57:17 PM2/2/16
to Caffe Users
Hi all !

I am new to caffe.

I started to compile my own layer on caffe, but I got the error that:

[libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/text_format.cc:274]
Error parsing text-format caffe.NetParameter: 260:19: Message type "caffe.LayerParameter" has no field named "recurrent_param".
WARNING: Logging before InitGoogleLogging() is written to STDERR
F0203 01:42:02.196913 14837 upgrade_proto.cpp:68] Check failed: ReadProtoFromTextFile(param_file, param) Failed to parse NetParameter file: /usr/caffe-master/examples/lrcn/deploy_lstm.prototxt
*** Check failure stack trace: ***

I have analysed some of the problems post on the Internet and I knew the reason is that the parameter named  "recurrent_param" isn't used in new caffe anymore.
I am graceful for advise!
Thanks in advance!

btw, my error code is :

layer {
  name: "lstm1"
  type: "LSTM"
  bottom: "fc6-reshape"
  bottom: "reshape-cm"
  top: "lstm1"
  recurrent_param {
    num_output: 256
    bias_filler {
      type: "constant"
      value: 0
    }
  }
}

Jan C Peters

Feb 3, 2016, 5:05:25 AM2/3/16
to Caffe Users
Yeah, ok. So you know where the error is. How are we supposed to help then? How you resolve this error depends very much on what you actually want to achieve. If you want to use recurrence (as it seems to me from your code), why not try a recurrent fork of caffe such as maybe https://github.com/junhyukoh/caffe-lstm ?

Jan

Strange Jane

Feb 4, 2016, 8:04:52 AM2/4/16
to Caffe Users
Yeah, I know where the error is. And the problem was solved after I tried a brand-new recurrent fork of caffe as you  mentioned.

However, what confuse me now is if there is any difference between my caffe  and the recurrence caffe?

Thanks.

Strange.

在 2016年2月3日星期三 UTC+8下午6:05:25,Jan C Peters写道:

Naveen Reddy Chedeti

Mar 15, 2016, 1:13:49 AM3/15/16
to Caffe Users
Hi I am facing the same issue. Can you tell me how to fix this.

[libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/text_format.cc:291] Error parsing text-format caffe.NetParameter: 2527:19: Message type "caffe.LayerParameter" has no field named "recurrent_param".

Jan

Mar 15, 2016, 4:43:26 AM3/15/16
to Caffe Users
I have been using caffe for about a year now and I have never seen that "recurrent_param". I.e. it does not exist currently and it has not existed for at least a year. That is, in the official caffe from BVLC, which does not have recurrency. Maybe you were using a recurrent fork of caffe?

Jan

Naveen Reddy Chedeti

Mar 16, 2016, 2:40:25 AM3/16/16
to Caffe Users
I am trying to implement a paper which uses Berkeley LRCN dev branch with the hashtag: 716262a87f16093af6a76afc3b176d15a963147c .  In the implementation he uses "recurrent_param" in protoc.txt which is not present in latest version. I have checked in caffe-lstm for this hashtag, I couldn't find it,  Do you know where I can get this version of Caffe.

Strange Jane

Mar 22, 2016, 9:41:59 PM3/22/16
to Caffe Users
yeah, as you metioned, the parameter named "recurrent_param" doesn't belong to the original caffe model. I made a fork from the official caffe of BVLC and all my problems had been solved.
Thank you for your help.

Strange

在 2016年3月15日星期二 UTC+8下午4:43:26,Jan写道:

Strange Jane

Mar 22, 2016, 9:51:44 PM3/22/16
to Caffe Users, cs13...@iith.ac.in
yeah, there is something wrong in your caffe version. As Jan mentioned in his reply, maybe you can try to use the official caffe from BVLC.
To solve this problem, I made a fork of the caffe which belongs to Lisa, who is one of the contributors in the LRCN model. The address is https://github.com/LisaAnne/lisa-caffe-public.

在 2016年3月16日星期三 UTC+8下午2:40:25,Naveen Reddy Chedeti写道: