Building gnina (openbabel 3) and getting "cannot find -lopenbabel-NOTFOUND" at link stage

Alan Christie

Dec 4, 2019, 11:36:17 AM12/4/19
to Caffe Users
I'm building the latest 'gnina' for the first time (having built open babel 3.0.0) from source but get the following error when linking...

/opt/rh/devtoolset-8/root/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/8/ld: cannot find -lopenbabel-NOTFOUND
make[2]: *** [gninasrc/CMakeFiles/gninalib.dir/build.make:911: lib/libgnina.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1872: gninasrc/CMakeFiles/gninalib.dir/all] Error 2

OpenBabel 3.0.0 appears to be built OK and installed to "/opt/openbabel3" where there are "bin", "include", "lib" and "share" directories.

How do I tell the 'gnina' build where the libraries are that it's trying to link to?

Alan Christie

Dec 5, 2019, 3:38:20 AM12/5/19
to Caffe Users
OK - the moral of the story is "don't try and be clever and change the installation location of dependent tools - let them all install to /usr/local". If you try and move the tools around (which you can) you can potentially create work for yourself configuring individual cmake files. By just installing everything to to the default (and setting RDBASE) I was able to avoid the compilation errors and take away a number of cmake -D declarations.