Caffe stoppd working (CUDNN_STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR, Cannot create Cublas handle)

Philip Meier

Oct 25, 2017, 9:20:30 AM10/25/17
to Caffe Users
System:

OS: Ubuntu 16.04
GPU: GTX 1080
CUDA: 8.0.61
cuDNN: 6.0.21

As of this afternoon, my caffe, which was working fine for two weeks, stopped working. I didn't consciously change anything on my system. Caffe now exits with:

I1025 15:01:10.109141  1036 net.cpp:380] convolution_1 -> convolution_1
E1025
15:01:10.180095  1042 common.cpp:114] Cannot create Cublas handle. Cublas won't be available.
F1025 15:01:10.238710  1036 cudnn_conv_layer.cpp:53] Check failed: status == CUDNN_STATUS_SUCCESS (4 vs. 0)  CUDNN_STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR
*** Check failure stack trace: ***
    @     0x7fadb236f5cd  google::LogMessage::Fail()
    @     0x7fadb2371433  google::LogMessage::SendToLog()
    @     0x7fadb236f15b  google::LogMessage::Flush()
    @     0x7fadb2371e1e  google::LogMessageFatal::~LogMessageFatal()
    @     0x7fadb292f0bb  caffe::CuDNNConvolutionLayer<>::LayerSetUp()
    @     0x7fadb2a65ddc  caffe::Net<>::Init()
    @     0x7fadb2a6862e  caffe::Net<>::Net()
    @     0x7fadb2a1afc5  caffe::Solver<>::InitTrainNet()
    @     0x7fadb2a1c435  caffe::Solver<>::Init()
    @     0x7fadb2a1c74f  caffe::Solver<>::Solver()
    @     0x7fadb2a46e31  caffe::Creator_SGDSolver<>()
    @           0x40bd33  train()
    @           0x408450  main
    @     0x7fadb105b830  __libc_start_main
    @           0x408c79  _start
    @              (nil)  (unknown)

This problem is not new, but it seems that either it was a memory issue or it was never resolved. For test purposes I'm training on the MNIST dataset with LeNet, so memory is no problem here.

To resolve this I completely reinstalled CUDA/cuDNN and caffe. The CUDA samples as well as the caffe runtest are working just fine, but the error is still there.

The only strange thing I found is the error message right before the fatal error:

E1025 15:01:10.180095  1042 common.cpp:114] Cannot create Cublas handle. Cublas won't be available.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Philip Meier

Oct 28, 2017, 3:45:27 PM10/28/17
to Caffe Users
After 3 days of trial and error I still wasn't able to resolve this.

The only thing which I noticed during the installation of CUDA / cuDNN is that now driver version 384 is installed and I'm pretty sure the first time I installed it the version was 375.

Questions:

1. Could this new driver be the cause of my problem? This seems quite obvious, but since no one else (I could find) has the same issue I'm not sure about it.
2. Is there a way to install CUDA with a specific driver version? Up to this point I installed it via a local deb and this seems to install the newest version of the driver.

Marvin

Nov 15, 2017, 1:37:16 PM11/15/17
to Caffe Users
Hi! I also have the same problem with my GTX 1070. Have you found a solution to your problem yet?

cxq

Nov 17, 2017, 2:01:59 AM11/17/17
to Caffe Users

Try to use engine: CAFFE in the convolution_param

在 2017年10月25日星期三 UTC+8下午9:20:30,Philip Meier写道:

myriadde...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2018, 11:46:58 AM9/4/18
to Caffe Users
I have the exact same problem with you, how did you solve it after that?

在 2017年10月25日星期三 UTC-4上午9:20:30,Philip Meier写道: