Is it possible to add a custom layer without changing caffe's code?

bo yang

Mar 30, 2022, 11:38:54 AM3/30/22
to Caffe Users
Hi all,

I have read the guide of how to add a custom layer https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/wiki/Development .

In this guide, I have to add the layer under caffe's directory. I think it requires to re-build the caffe's source after I add my layers. Is it possible to write layers in my own project's directory, and instantiate and register it directly?

My real situation is that I am doing some testing work for a pre-trained model. The model uses a distribution of caffe (they have some custom layers that I do not know the implementation details) that only has binaries available. I need to add a custom loss layer for my own objective function. I am wondering if it is possible.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Bo Yang