protoc compiler not found

M@y

Oct 17, 2016, 1:12:44 PM10/17/16
to Caffe Users
To be able to compile protobuf manually  I was forced to do the following (as suggested in many forums/questions to get caffe works on ubuntu 16.04):
sudo apt-get autoremove libprotobuf-dev protobuf-compiler

Then, I just grab the source of protobuf library and compiled it manually without any problem and I put it under /usr/local/myprotobuf/

But when I just hit make all to compile caffe, it gives me the following error:
PROTOC src/caffe/proto/caffe.proto
make
: protoc : command not found
Makefile:636 : the target of .. « .build_release/src/caffe/proto/caffe.pb.cc » failed
make
: *** [.build_release/src/caffe/proto/caffe.pb.cc] Error 127

If I do locate libprotoc I got the following:
/usr/local/myprotobuf/lib/libprotoc.a
/usr/local/myprotobuf/lib/libprotoc.la
/usr/local/myprotobuf/lib/libprotoc.so
/usr/local/myprotobuf/lib/libprotoc.so.9
/usr/local/myprotobuf/lib/libprotoc.so.9.0.1

So, it's there but not sure why it's not linked properly since I already added the following to my bashrc file:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/myprotobuf/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/myprotobuf/lib"

That's why I think it should be there but it seems that I'm missing something but not sure what it's. Any clue please..