Training with Python Layer is slow and depends on how much data i load on system ram ?

Sagar Kale

Nov 17, 2018, 6:59:10 AM11/17/18
to Caffe Users
Hi,

I am trying to train a object detection model using caffe. I have defined a python layer for classification and regression loss. Training process is taking too much time.
I can understand python layer is slow compared to other layers. But, I am observing strange behavior.

System: Linux Ubutu 16.04
System RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB

Input Image Size: 3x48x48
Batch Size: 256
Training Data Size: ~12 lacs

Observations:
If i load 5000 images and start training, I can see 0.05 seconds per iteration - This is ok
If i load 100000 images and start training, I can see 4 seconds per iteration - This is slow
If i load 12lacs images and start training, I can see 12 seconds per iteration - This is very slow

I am not understanding, Why training time per iteration is changing ?

Regards,
Sagar