Getting Unknown pooling method error each time I try to use STOCHASTIC for pooling method

Hossein Hasanpour

May 10, 2016, 2:31:16 AM5/10/16
to Caffe Users
I am trying to use STOCHASTIC pooling in caffe, but each time I try to use it it crashes the caffe with this error :
F0510 10:58:23.023799 12080 cudnn.hpp:125] Unknown pooling method.
*** Check failure stack trace: ***

and this is my pooling layer definition :
layer {
  name
: "pool2_1"
  type
: "Pooling"
  bottom
: "relu2_1"
  top
: "pool2_1"
  pooling_param
{
    pool
: STOCHASTIC
    kernel_size
: 2
    stride
: 2

}
}
I tired using the integer value 2 instead of the stochastic string, but nothing nothing changes!
the Max and AVE are fine though!
Message has been deleted

Hossein Hasanpour

May 10, 2016, 3:43:53 PM5/10/16
to Caffe Users
I found the reason and solution to the problem : https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/issues/4123
Actually STOCHASTIC needs to be used with CAFFE engine. it is not implemented in cudnn it seems.

I witnessed something strange thought, using the STOCHASTIC pooling, the accuracy decreased really bad! e.g from 99% accuracy it decreased  to 43%.
Is this expected ? or is it a bug?
I thought STOCHASTIC pooling was supposed to enhance the performance and accuracy of the network! not destroying it!