Faraz Fazli

Nov 3, 2016, 1:49:47 PM11/3/16
to Caffe Users
Hi,

I've seen that a lot of users are having trouble compiling Caffe on OS X. I have a set of notes which I wrote to make this process easier.

I'd like to know - would the community benefit from an easy installer for Caffe on OS X? This would automate the entire process of downloading each dependency concurrently and installing it properly, as well as installing Anaconda, creating a new environment, and all installing all necessary Python packages. It would also add any environment variables needed to ~/.bash_profile or ~/.zshrc so that the user is just left with a working Caffe, ready to use in an Anaconda environment.

It would handle CUDA, cuDNN, Xcode switching, everything. If the community is interested, I can create an open-source tool based on my notes. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Faraz Fazli

Wilf Rosenbaum

Nov 3, 2016, 6:03:23 PM11/3/16
to Caffe Users
Well it wouldn't affect me one way or the other Faraz, I don't have any Mac, but I just wanted to say that I think your offer is a thoughtful and generous gesture. I'm sure other folks will be interested.

Faraz Fazli

Nov 3, 2016, 7:07:52 PM11/3/16
to Wilf Rosenbaum, caffe...@googlegroups.com
Wilf,

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I will tidy up some of these notes and translate it into a lightweight Go tool soon - and I'll post the GitHub link here soon so anyone who wants to use it or help contribute can do so.

- Faraz

Noah Toyonaga

Nov 4, 2016, 6:27:05 PM11/4/16
to Caffe Users, wilf.ro...@gmail.com
This would be very useful, as I've spent the last few days trying to get caffe running on my machine to no avail.

Could I possibly get ahold of your notes as well, for reference before you get an installer written?

Thank you!
Noah

On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 10:49:47 AM UTC-7, Faraz Fazli wrote:
[...]

Faraz Fazli

Nov 4, 2016, 11:13:23 PM11/4/16
to Caffe Users, wilf.ro...@gmail.com
Sure Noah, I have pushed what I have so far to GitHub. You can find the notes here: https://github.com/farazfazli/gdnn/blob/master/NOTES.md

If you're experiencing a specific error, feel free to post it here and I'll help in any way I can.

- Faraz

Faraz Fazli

Nov 7, 2016, 12:19:22 AM11/7/16
to Caffe Users
Hey guys,

So I finished a good part of the tool, but haven't finished concurrent installations as it's been a busy weekend. Hoping to wrap this up soon when I get some time. I updated and organized the notes so they should help if you're having trouble installing on OS X.

Thanks,
Faraz