On teachers and students

Sahand Sahebdivani

Apr 15, 2024, 5:01:17 AMApr 15
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

When I was a teenager I studied the Persian lute with my first teacher. He would come home to our home, make a big pot of tea, sit down and play. I would join him, mimicking the melodies he played. An hour would pass without a word being spoken. My next teacher was a famous music theoretician. He didn't let me play on my feelings. Every note needed to be correct. Every few seconds he would stop me to correct the position of a finger. Somewhere between these two teachers my feeling for art grew. It also taught me to respect a long relationship with teachers. Something that isn't a given in the art world today, where many of us mix and match workshops without creating longer lasting relationships with those who are masters of the art we are studying.

Tonight you can experience something special. Not only will you be able to see the master of improv theater Tim Orr, the San Fransisco based living legend in the improv world, perform, he will join the stage with our very own Raffi Feghali. Raffi started the improv scene in Lebanon while learning as a student for many years from Tim. Seeing them together is not just going to be fun, it is a beautiful observation of the teacher/student-turned-pro relationship! Here's more info and tickets:

Tomorrow (Tuesday) we are back with another Tuesday storytelling event, but one that involves music and improv! It's a night called Pearls on a String and it's likely we will be inspired by tonight's antics. I will host this night myself (and it's free, no need to get tickets! Doors open at 19.00, event starts at 20.00!)

Saturday night we are back with the Alt Comedy Night. It's our monthly event in which we explore the boundaries of comedy and go beyond the stand up format. Think crazy characters, clowns, scetches, etc. Buy a ticket and let yourself be surprised!

The we end the week on Sunday with two very special events!

The first is the concert of Hamraaz! Hamraaz is a Persian word which means secretsharer. In life one of the closest friends you can have is the one you trust with the secrets of your soul! Khorshid Dadbeh and Lucie Lelairain mix the sounds of the Tanbur, the Tar, the Duduk and the Flute to create an intimate night of deep listening. Read, listen and get tickets here:

On Sunday we also have a very special storytelling event in the funeral museum Tot Zover. Can storytelling say semething about the mystery of being and not being? How is it to tell at an actual (abandoned) funeral home? Join us on a journey of discovery. We have different tellers and the event is in English: https://www.totzover.nl/content/mezrab/

Well, that's it for the week! See you at the events!

Sahand & Team

PS. Did you see our refreshed website? Karl did a great job, have a look! www.mezrab.nl
PPS, The story podcast is going strong! Weekly episodes drop, well... weekly. Here's a link: https://open.spotify.com/show/5BII2F3V8bFcyi3qh92x1H