A new week has started! What are you doing tonight?

Sahand Sahebdivani

Jan 8, 2024, 6:47:03 AMJan 8
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

A new week has started. It's the first one in which we go back to pre-Covid madness and just start opening our doors on Mondays. Traditionally it's the day of rest for restaurant and bar owners who work through the weekend. But who needs rest when the world is a mess and all we have for comfort is our togetherness? So in that spirit you are invited for the following:

TONIGHT: Comedy Open Mic. The thrill of seeing people try material for the first time. Will they succeed or fail? You will be there to experience the rawest of materials! Free entrance.
Tomorrow (Tuesday): Tell, then show! The low threshold storytelling event hosted by Chidi (UK/Nigeria). We love Chidi as a teller and a host and we are thrilled that he's back to bring you a heartwarming experience. Also free!
Thursday: The Odyssey's of Chizi Wa Mtaa. Renowned Kenyan storyteller and theater maker Ogutu Muraya is back in the NL to do a solo show in the Mezrab. Come and see the master do something you rarely see on stage in the Mez or elsewhere. You can grab tickets for this event (and you should). The show has a very low ticket price as we organized it last moment to support international artists! Read more here: https://mezrab.nl/events/the-odysseys-of-chizi-wa-mtaa-by-ogutu-muraya/

On Sunday we have our monthly music gathering called Mezjam. Master of connections will be Babak Amiri! Another free show. Doors open at 19.00, music starts at 20.00

While this is it for the week, here's a few more things for you to look forward to:

We have the following concerts this month:
The Spanish and South African wunderchildren bringing us angelic songs on Jan 21https://mezrab.nl/events/escarteen-sisters-sarah-blake-%e2%98%85-magic-carpet-sessions/
The vintage record disco night Vintage Voodoo which has a pitch dark listening session on Jan 27: https://mezrab.nl/events/vintage-voudou-%e2%98%85-dance-night-2/

Finally for those looking for something interesting that doesn't quite fit in any category:
On Sat Jan 20 we have our Alternative Comedy Night. The monthly classical comedy night is alternated (see what I did there?) with a night that is devoted to the absurd: sketch comedy, clownery, character bits. All the things you don't see in most comedy clubs. Grab your tickets here: https://mezrab.nl/events/the-alt-mezrab-comedy-night/
On Sat Jan 27 our favorite Lebanese improv actor Raffi Feghali is giving a one day workshop on how to make stories out of nothing. It's a fun few hours to spend on a Saturday afternoon, and very educational! https://mezrab.nl/events/workshop-improvisational-storytelling-with-raffi-feghali/
On Sun Jan 28 we have a Dutch language solo show! We stopped doing non-English events a while ago, but we had to offer a spot for Frank Belt, the Friesland based storyteller who dove into his family secrets to create this show: https://mezrab.nl/events/gebroken-geheimen-frank-belt/

That's it, lots and lots to choose from! Hope to see you at the events!

Sahand & Team

PS. The Mezrab podcast is going strong. Every week Fer Rodil picks one of the stories told live in the Mezrab, which he feels you should listen to from the comfort of your own home(/car/stroll/bike). Are you in on this already? https://open.spotify.com/show/5BII2F3V8bFcyi3qh92x1H
PPS. A while ago I started reaching out to you on Telegram. Especially if reading a long weekly mail isn't your thing here's a group to join. Great thing is, joining doesn't give us access to your number: https://t.me/mezrabchannel
PPPS. We are in the process of interviewing students for the professional five month storytelling course which is starting in September. Do you have ambitions to become a professional teller, drop us a line!