Music tonight!

Sahand Sahebdivani

Feb 25, 2024, 6:41:29 AMFeb 25
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Are you coming to the Jam session tonight? I really hope so. We already have the monthly one every second Sunday of the month, run by Babak. We now just added another one. It's bi-monthly and run by the wonderful folk of Orchestre Partout, They are bringing together conservatory students and (former) refugees from various corners of the world. Tonight is their premiere night! Come and join them! Doors open at 19.00, live music starts at 20.00 and it's free to enter (though donations help pay the rent).

The great thing about the jams is that we arrive without an expectation of excellence. We haven't paid for a finished product which we are there to consume. We are part of the ritual of togetherness, bouncing off each other, trying new material and seeing how to communicate in the moment. It's exciting to see those on stage trying to connect, find a common language and give shape to this exploration.

It's a similar energy which is carried tomorrow (Monday) when we have the comedy open mic! Some of the comedians will try material that has never been bounced off an audience, pros and amateurs sharing the same carpet. Lovers of the art meeting an audience that will see material before it's polished and timed to perfection. Same times, also free!

Then on Tuesday we continue this exploration with our improv/storytelling/music night Pearls on a String. You never need a special reason to come to this night, but I will give it to you anyway. The finest improv actor I ever had the pleasure to see on stage, the Canada born and Austria based Jacob Banigan, will be joining us on stage as a special guest. What?! Exactly. I am supposed to host this night, but honestly, I will just welcome the audience and try not to get in the way of the brilliance. Also donation based!

Now, after all these free nights we do want to honor the artists who have toiled away to create something special that they want to share with you. Artists who deserve to be compensated for the hours put away in rehearsal spaces and in study books. You are invited to buy tickets and come and see:

On Thursday the best Iranian Ethno Jazz you can imagine. The compositions of oriental guitar virtuoso Mahan Mirarab and his sextet, which includes the voice of powerhouse Golnar Shahyar. I don't know what's up with Austria, but they are also traveling all the way from there to play in Amsterdam. Listen to the links, grab your tickets, tell your friends:

On Saturday we have another edition of the Mezrab Comedy Night. If you want to see what honing your craft looks like doing open mics, here's the comedy

Then finally on Sunday we have our New Harvest night. Three selected storytellers you know doing short stories on our weekdays are challenged to bring something longer, involving theatrical elements. What will storytellers do when they shed the limitations of a storytelling night? Apparently one of them will talk about penises a lot:

What a week eh? See you at the events!

Sahand & Team

PS, since many of the storytelling courses were sold out, we just added a whole bunch of weekends on the website. If you were trying to find a weekend to study storytelling and couldn't find a free weekend, have another look on www.mezrabstorytellingschool.nl . We are also still auditioning for students for the five month professional course starting in September!