music jam tonight!

Sahand Sahebdivani

Feb 11, 2024, 8:38:32 AMFeb 11
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Can you imagine it was almost twenty years ago when we started this adventure? When we opened a little place in the Jordaan which grew into the institute which Mezrab is today? On the very first day the Mezrab was open we didn't even have our lamps connected yet, but it was summer so the sun set late and some candles would have to do. I jumped on my bike as Baba and Mama Mezrab prepared tea and food, cycled to the central station to pick up a tombak player who would sit behind me and brought him back to our place. Babak had already arrived and was tuning his guitar. That first night, with three people playing music, mama singing and baba reciting ancient poetry, was how we started, and now twenty years later, Babak is again running a monthly jam session. Food is still made by Baba, though his knees don't allow him to stay and serve it, the tea is still good, even if we've added many more drink options, and we do have light connection, which is good; February has much less sun than the July month in which we started.

So come on down for the jam, either tonight, or on Sunday February 25, when we have another jam session! This one is hosted by the members of Club Partout! Entry is free of charge, everyone is welcome, also just to listen and enjoy.

If you like MUSIC, but you don't like jams, you're also in luck. We have three more amazing concerts this month:
On Thursday February 22 we have Layba Diawara, who is a musician from the traditionally male world of Griots in Guinea. However, he's passing down the Griot culture and music to his daughter Terna Diawara who is finding new forms and shapes for the ancient words, melodies and instruments. They are joined by musical powerhouses Osama Meleegi (Sudan) and Jasper de Beer (NL):
On Saturday February 24 discotheque music meets live grooves and African fire meets the Americas in a steamy set by the Cuban musician/producer Afrosideral that will make you forget about your winter blues:
Finally on Thursday February 29 we bring you the finest of Iranian musicians in Europe. The Vienna based Mahan Mirarab brings his multinational sextet (including our favorite Iranian vocalist Golnar):

In the links you can listen to songs and get tickets online, which will be cheaper than the tickets at the door!

---

STORYTELLING continues to be wonderful and varied with the Tuesdays we have for you. This Tuesday Chidi hosts Tell, then Show! Which gently nudges first timers to share in a playful way, next week is Queer stories. For further Tuesday programming, check our website: www.mezrab.nl

---

For COMEDY we have an open mic happening tomorrow (Monday)! The open mics are intimate and daring. Will the comedians manage to make you laugh? Will they fall flat on their faces? Come show them love. Then come this Saturday for the Mezrab Alt Comedy Night. It's a monthly comedy night with a twist, bringing artists beyond the Stand Up format: clowns, character comedy, sketches, physical humor. It's a ticketed event and you can already get yours online!

Well, that's it, enough for a Sunday at least. Go and enjoy the end of your weekend, I hope to see you at the events!

Sahand & Team