Merry Christmas and what to do?

Sahand Sahebdivani

Dec 26, 2023, 11:16:56 AM12/26/23
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

A few days ago Iranians got together to spend a night reading poetry by ancient Iranian poets, eating the deep red end-of-autumn fruits and nuts and generally enjoying each other's company for the entire night, giving power to the sun which got weaker and weaker. The ancient belief is that on the longest night the sun needs our energy to come back, allowing the days to grow longer and stronger. It is an ancient celebration of light defeating the dark. An event that at the end of this disastrous year we especially welcome. We don't need any applause for it, and you surely did something similar, as most religions and traditions have a ritual of light and togetherness in this period. Even if you are not religious or particularly connected to the rituals of your ancestors, you understand the human need for connection in dark times. You have to, otherwise you wouldn't be a fan of the Mezrab.

Now, did you think we'd let you alone in these days of needing-to-connect? Of course not. While today we don't have a storytelling event, storytelling continues like normal this Wednesday and Friday in the Mezrab. And for New Year of course we are organizing a party for which you can still get tickets! This year's theme is Monsters in Love. Tickets of course here: www.mezrab.nl

What we are also offering you in the weird social limbo between Christmas celebrations and New Year are the nights of the Bellevue Theater Take Over. In our Home Away From Home themed storytelling days on December 27 - 30 (yes that's this Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday!) you get to experience beautiful solo shows (by Raffi Feghali, Sinead o'Brien and Marijn Vissers) on falling in and out of love with your native Beirut, about troubled mothers and the comfort of ancient Irish myths and about leaving Braband to settle in Amsterdam, while befriending the local maffia. We love these shows, and we were sorry some of you missed them during Fringe and the Amsterdam Storytelling Festival, but they are back and waiting for you to buy your tickets (which by the way, have a kind pay as you can afford system). The take over days also offer a Mezrab variety night hosted by Rod Ben Zeev and short personal story workshops offered by Jacqueline Korevaar and Fernando Rodil. For more info and tickets here: https://www.theaterbellevue.nl/pQ0lGuM/mezrab-i-the-house-of-stories-in-theater-bellevue

There you go, we got your socials covered this week. And if we don't see you, catch you in the new year!

Sahand & Team

PS. Are you far away from us, but still miss storytelling? You can catch a weekly updated story on the Mezrab podcast! https://open.spotify.com/show/5BII2F3V8bFcyi3qh92x1H
PPS. On January 2nd we immediately start our exciting Tuesday storytelling programming with a night of myths and folktales hosted by Irina!
PPPS. 2024 is also the year in which we add more comedy events. We already have the two comedy nights on Saturday, but to accomodate more comedy open mics we are moving them to the Mondays! The first one of which will be on January 8!
PPPPS. Unrelated to anything, but our favorite singer Lynn Adib just dropped a song two days ago. Do your ears a favor and show her some love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp6kTrjAvhI