Free comedy tonight!

Sahand Sahebdivani

Jan 22, 2024, 7:22:53 AMJan 22
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

There's a memory I think of from time to time. I was 12 years old and my parents had a visitor from Iran. By this age I was a thorough classical music nerd. I had seen the Mozart biopic Amadeus a bunch of times and I was studying classical violin. The visitor was a Persian Tar player who showed me the instrument I had never seen in my life and started playing. A few minutes in I raised my finger and asked him if his tar was out of tune. My parents were mortified, in Iran a kid doesn't ask a professional musician if his instrument is out of tune, but the visitor understood I was raised here, and decided to tune it again. The next time he played the same thing happened. Finally he realized what was going on, whenever he left the European scales to bring in the Eastern microtones my ears would protest. They had been conditioned to appreciate only a specific set of notes and rhythms.

Now, I'm glad that my parents kept introducing me to different artists to educate my ears and allow me to enjoy so many more colours. I was also happy that Amsterdam had stages which regularly brought in the best acts from all over the world. I am even more proud that Mezrab (with the curation skills of Rogier, our music programmer) has an amazing line up!. Just look at the following four events. Note them in your planner. Press on the links, listen to the songs in the videos and be amazed at all this beauty. Tickets are cheap, especially if you buy them in advance:

Sat Jan 27 / Vintage Voodoo / Listening party with only vintage records. For part of the night we turn off the lights and you can enjoy the music only through your ears!
Sat 10-02 / Deli Teli Live at the Mez! Psychedelic Greek surfer Rock. Is that a thing? It surely is! The Mastiha is bought and put on the ice, because this will be a hot night.
Thurs 22-02 / Layba Diawara & Bembaké / Music from the new generation of Griots (Troubadours) culture of Guinea, mixing it up like a pan-African cocktail!
Sat - 24-02 / Tropical Discotheque / Mixing Afrocuban and brazilian rhythms and movements. Who needs a gym when you can dance:

---

So, now that we have you covered on the music front let's not forget that we have:
1) A FREE comedy night tonight! Twice a month on the Monday we have the Comedy open stage.
2) We have a storytelling event tomorrow (Tuesday)  looking at where storytelling meets literature, called Off the page. This night is part of our Tuesdays line up. Every single week we bring you another investigation into storytelling. All of them, like the comedy tonight, are free, doors open at 19.00, words start at 20.00

and finally:

3) This Sunday we have Dutch Storyteller Frank Belt bring his solo show about the secrets of the women in his family. We have stopped booking Dutch shows a while ago, but we felt Frank's show deserved a stage! Come, tell your friends, drag them along:

That's it for now! Hope to see you at the events!

Sahand & Team

PS, did you know that the Mezrab Storytelling School is starting a new professional five month course in September? We do this course for people who would like to invest deeply in storytelling and make it a career. Many of our former students now have shows playing on international stages. If you are interested, or know people on the path of storytelling, ready to dive into it, send them to www.mezrabstorytellingschool.nl