Stories and music

Sahand Sahebdivani

Mar 18, 2024, 7:33:31 AMMar 18
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

There's something magical about raising kids in an artistic family and see them dance and sing as naturally as they learn to walk or to speak. A flamenco piece which I joined as a storyteller had a singer and a guitarist in the group who were a couple. They were also parents of a baby, who was in the arms of one parent or the other, as we rehearsed rhythms, movements and melodies. The artistic director of the piece had her own kids who were just a few years old when we opened the Mezrab, and these kids would also often come to rehearsals or shows.

I don't need to wonder what happens to kids like this! When our music programmer Rogier booked his next act for our amazing music programme, I realized I knew that face. Of course, it was one of the daughters of the artistic director! Now an accomplished artist herself! Just listen to the songs on our page and buy your tickets for the concert of Raquel Kurpershoek Jaldón on April 4th

I will list some more music events at the bottom of this mail, because honestly, they're all great (and all of them sons and daughters of parents who would be proud to see them perform in the Mezrab for you).

---

- But first: THIS SUNDAY is the day. Our yearly World Storytelling Day event which lets us open our doors and share stories with you in a 12 hour marathon setting! From 12.00 till 24.00 you are welcome to come and enjoy! Yalla! (Free entrance, just come for the love. Or the soup. Or both).

- Tomorrow (Tuesday) we also have another storytelling Tuesday, hosted by Fer Rodil. The meeting of storytelling and literature. Doors at 19.00, stories at 20.00. Free entrance.

- After last week's sold out one day workshop we have another one coming this Saturday which is going to be very inspiring. Theater maker and music star Aryeh Hasfari is going to teach us how to use music in storytelling shows! He's an amazing artist who broke our hearts when he brought his art to the Netherlands (in a show which we also have in our line-up), and now you get to learn from him:

- Speaking of courses, do you know Mezrab Storytelling School's co-founder Raphael Rodan has a course on how to deal with Fear on stage? It is deep work, diving into the roots of fear. The date for this three day course is April 5, 6 & 7.

---

Because the Bellevue Theater loved our work they decided to book some of our tellers. For you it means that you can gorge yourself on amazing storytelling shows. Here's a few that are coming up:

On March 21 (This Thursday!!) I myself play my non-linear experimental storytelling show about the Iranian revolution and the life of my parents. It's a story about a nation turning upside down and spitting you out. Also, if you come you get to hear me sing in Georgian and Greek. The show plays in Theater Bellevue

On April 2&3 you can see Sinead O'brien's brilliant show No One is Coming. It mixes her personal stories with ancient Irish myths. She recently was awarded again with four and five star reviews! Also in Theater Bellevue:

Back in Mezrab we have a very special show on Sunday April 7: Aryeh Hasfari is doing the show that made us all cry in the Amsterdam Storytelling Festival. We invited Aryeh to play his music which in previous years had become the anthem for the protests against the Netanyahu government in Israel. When the horrendous attack and war started on October 7 Aryeh realized he couldn't play his music. Instead he wrote, in a few short days, one of the most heartbreaking and beautiful shows we ever saw. It is a no holds barred meditation on pain, guilt and violence. In it lies a lot of humanity and love. Seriously, buy your tickets now:

That's it for now, see you at some of these great shows!

Love and hugs,
Sahand

PS. For those who celebrate, happy Nowruz, the return of the spring!

PPS. Yes, music! I didn't forget:

Saturday March 30 we have a Vintage Voodoo dance night: https://mezrab.nl/events/vintage-voudou-%e2%98%85-dance-night-3/

PPPS. Invite your friends to these storytelling and music shows. It is really incredible what we have in terms of line up and quality, and all these artists deserve a wider audience to know them and appreciate their art. Be creative. Forward this mail, beg people to come, blackmail them. We have trust in you.