There's something jumping off the page tonight!

Sahand Sahebdivani

Dec 12, 2023, 1:08:34 AM12/12/23
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

If someone asked us "who's ready to say goodbye to this year" I would raise my arm so fast, I'm sure I'd pull a muscle. And yet, and yet, there's beauty. It doesn't negate the suffering and ugliness we see around us, but it is there. Just like in the novels of Milan Kundera, where he describes the grandmother looking at the ladybug on her apples and the tanks invading in the distance. From her perspective the ladybugs are as big as the tanks on the horizon. In that moment she has to hold on to her perspective.

I'm not sure if tonight's host Fer Rodil appreciates being compared to a bug, but I'm sure he likes the literary nod. That's what tonight's storytelling event is about: stories that deal with literature. How do we hold up against the literary greats? Can we tell the stories that they put on paper in our live performances? He calls the night Off the page, and it's truly a gem! Doors open at 19.00, event starts at 20.00. Entrance is free and there's soup.

On Thursday the ladybugs we offer come in the form of amazing Greek music as part of our intimate Magic Carpet music nights. The band Merem will release their new album, which sounds delicious. Just check the video in the link (which also has ticketing info): https://mezrab.nl/events/merem-live-%e2%98%85-album-release-show-%e2%98%85-magic-carpet-sessions-2/

The Merem concert is curated by Rogier, uor musical mastermind who also brings us another night this year, the Vintage Voodoo party night on December 23rd. This edition will have a session of listening to music in total darkness! https://mezrab.nl/events/vintage-voudou-%e2%98%85-dance-night-feat-fred-kramer-souma-records-2/

On the comedy front we are proud to announce another Mezrab Alt Comedy Night this Saturday. Would you like your comedy to go beyond the jokester holding a mic? You're in luck. The new night brings sketches, clowns and all the other weird stuff that you never knew played your funny bone. This edition's headliner is Derek Scott Mitchel, of the hilarious Let's Double Dutch videos. Tickets here: https://mezrab.nl/events/the-alt-mezrab-comedy-night-2/

If you are wondering how we are supporting storytelling outside of the Mezrab, there's two events you can't miss. In Amsterdam we are taking over the Bellevue Theater between December 27 and 30. In the line up there's powerful and important solo shows (in both Dutch and English!) as well as short true story workshops. Ever wondered how a Lebanese storyteller copes with leaving the city he loves? An Irish teller with her troubled relationship with her mother? A Dutch Brabander with moving to Amsterdam as a young man? Come and find out:: https://www.theaterbellevue.nl/pQ0lGuM/mezrab-i-the-house-of-stories-in-theater-bellevue

A bit further away but already happening this weekend is the STET storytelling festival in the Hague! It features some great Mezrab tellers bringing their full show. And I will do a storytelling workshop there on Saturday on telling a personal story from a place of love! Get your tickets and sign up (and tell your Hague friends!): https://www.theenglishtheatre.nl/2023/03/08/storytelling-festival-winter-edition/

That's it for now, hope to see you at the events!

Sahand & Team