music to mourn a dead horse with

Sahand Sahebdivani

Feb 19, 2024, 8:37:52 AMFeb 19
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

There is an old Persian tale that says a king had decreed whoever would tell him of the death of his beloved horse would be put to death immediately. Of course the day came that the horse died, and since no one wanted to be killed for telling the king the news, they sent a musician. We don't need them, there's plenty, let one of them die! The musician sat down in front of the king, played his heart out, thinking this will be the last time he will play. He thought of all the ones he loved and saying goodbye to them forever. When he was done playing he put down his instrument to see that the king was staring at him with tears in his eyes. "What sorrow and sadness, my horse has died, hasn't he?". That day no one died. The king had said those words himself and didn't feel the need to execute anyone. It was also the day we proved the moving power of music. Not that it needed to be proven, everyone knows already, but being Persian means something is only true if there's a story to tell about it.

You know what else is true? That once upon a time (now), there was a week in which there was an amazing treasure chest of storytelling and musical events in the Mezrab (again, it's now, the week starts today):

Tomorrow (Tuesday) our Tuesday night storytelling programming continues with a massive Queer storytelling night! The sassy Irish Adonis Joseph is hosting and it will be fabulous. (The week after I will be hosting myself again with the Pearls on a String night which combines storytelling, improv and music!) Doors open at 19.00, stories start at 20.00. Event is free!
On Thursday we have Layba Diawara, who is a musician from the traditionally male world of Griots in Guinea. However, he's passing down the Griot culture and music to his daughter Terna Diawara who is finding new forms and shapes for the ancient words, melodies and instruments. They are joined by musical powerhouses Osama Meleegi (Sudan) and Jasper de Beer (NL):
On Saturday discotheque music meets live grooves and African fire meets the Americas in a steamy set by the Cuban musician/producer Afrosideral that will make you forget about your winter blues:
On Sunday we have a NEW jamsession which we are starting with Orchestre Partout! They are a group that combines the talents of conservatory students and migrant and asylum seekers from all over the world. For the other concerts you can buy a ticket through the link, but the jam session is free to join, to listen or play! Doors open at 19.00, live music starts at 20.00.

Then next week consider to the Comedy Open Mic on Monday, the improv/storytelling event on Tuesday and finally another concert on Thursday, this time an Iranian one:

On Thursday February 29 we bring you the finest of Iranian musicians in Europe. The Vienna based Mahan Mirarab brings his multinational sextet (including our favorite Iranian vocalist Golnar):

Hope to see you at the events!

Sahand & Team