Birthdays and a great show tonight

1 view

Sahand Sahebdivani

May 21, 2024, 6:02:59 AMMay 21
to cafem...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

There is this three days window in the year when quite a few Mezrabians celebrate their birthday a few days ago it was Michael (the organizer of the classical comedy night) and myself. Yesterday it was the birthday of Karl. When we got together to reminisce about how we met each other (in a typical Dutch birthday setting, sitting in a circle with cake and drinks, very gezellig) Karl told us he was brought there by his girlfriend. He was moving to the Netherlands to be with her, and this is how she introduced the place: Look, we are going to a special place. You have to like it, if not then we are breaking up on the spot! He took her advice to heart, and maybe even overdid it a bit, he's now one of the directors of the place!

Anyway, happy birthday Karl and Michael!

Now tonight there is a show you HAVE to see. Mezrab Storytelling School co-founder Raphael has made a beautiful show in which the story of Joseph, that angelic biblical beauty, is mixed with his own personal stories. It's funny, moving and has the beautiful life music and songs of Erik Sjoholm, who is coming to Amsterdam specifically for this show. This is one of the best storytelling shows around! Theater Bellevue, where the show plays, has a beautiful approach to art, you can pick what ticket price fits your budget. Read about the show and grab tickets here!

Have you seen the show already? No worries, our Tuesday programme continues strongly, with a Queer story tuesday tonight hosted by Soula, and Pears on a String next week, the night in which we combine music, storytelling and improv theater. All Tuesdays are free, no need to get tickets, but donations are appreciated.

Want to get tickets for Mezrab shows? No problem, here's a little selection that will put a smile on your face:
- On Thursday May 30th one of the best international clowns, Dr. Brown, comes to Amsterdam to do a solo show in the Mezrab. Read up about this brilliant show here
- On Sunday June 2nd we have the solo show of Jenny Mercein, also an international performer who is a known face in theater and TV. She brings us Two Elizas, an intergenerational show on resilience and women's rights. Info and tickets here!
- On Thursday June 6th the hoppiest of hoppa hoppa formations Amsterdam Klezmer Band has another club night in our humble location
- On Saturday June 8th we bring you the Tartit Live! They are Touareg musicians from Timbuktu and bring you a desert exile blues you don't need to understand to feel. Have a listen to the clips here and get your tickets.

See, plenty to choose from. See you at the events!

Sahand & Team

PS, I know I didn't mention the shows of the Iranian group Bomrani this weekend. They have been firmly sold out for a while now. Please don't mail me asking for tickets! But as a consolation here's a special event you might enjoy: On Friday May 24 our beloved Lebanese storyteller Raffi Feghali plays his show on the pain of leaving your home on one of the refugee boats of Rederij Lampedusa