Café Scientifique 'Autism: epidemic disease, psychosocial disorder or post-modern condition?'

cafes...@googlemail.com

Mar 16, 2011, 4:15:11 PM3/16/11
to Café Scientifique Sheffield
'Autism: epidemic disease, psychosocial disorder or post-modern
condition? 'Monday, 04 April 2011 at 19:00 in the bar of The Showroom

Dr Michael Fitzpatrick
Barton House Health Centre, London

Once regarded as a rare and obscure condition, autism now seems to be
everywhere, attracting both fear and fascination. This talk looks at
how can we understand the dramatic rise in the prevalence of autism
and the high public profile it now enjoys. What are the consequences
of the new age of autism, for individuals and families affected by
this diagnosis, and for society?

Michael is the author of two books : MMR and Autism: What Parents Need
To Know and Defeating Autism: A Damaging Delusion, both published by
Routledge.

More info: contact the organisers via cafes...@gmail.com

See more at http://www.sciencecafesheffield.org
Or our Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7243805881
Or follow us on Twitter @SciCafe

Sharpen your interest and knowledge of science in an informal and
friendly atmosphere. Cafe Scientifique is an opportunity for all
members of the public to meet practising scientists. Take part in a
debate/discussion around a drink or plate of food at the Showroom Bar.

The Showroom Cinema, Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX, Tel: 0114 275
7727
Web: http://www.showroom.org.uk

Admission is FREE, No need to sign up.
If you are visually/hearing impaired or have other special access
needs and would like to attend the event, please get in touch with us
in advance, and we will try our best to arrange for help to make the
event accessible to you.

Format: Generally the Cafe begins at 7.00pm in the restaurant area of
the Showroom. We begin with a short presentation of about 20 minutes
from a guest speaker, followed by a break to allow people to refresh
their glasses and think of questions they may wish to ask. During the
break there are also small group discussions before a larger
discussion takes place which can get quite lively!

Cafe Scientifique is sponsored by LloydsTSB
Web Address: http://www.sciencecafesheffield.org/201104.htm