This May we have our regular Scheduled Café Scientifique and two Cafés Scientifiques Encores

cafes...@googlemail.com

May 2, 2011, 9:33:18 AM5/2/11
to Café Scientifique Sheffield
Monday, 09th May 2011 at 7pm in the bar of The Showroom
James Williams & Holly Castleton
From the E-Futures Project, University of Sheffield.

This Café will discuss projected future energy shortages and the
different methods that are being employed to help plug the gap.

Cafés Encores:
17 May 2011 at 19:00
Professor Neil Hyatt
Royal Academy of Engineering and NDA Chair in Radioactive Waste
Management
Director, Immobilisation Science Laboratory

"What happened at the Fukushima nuclear power plant?". My presentation
would cover what went right, what went wrong, and the likely long term
impact on human health, the environment, and the nuclear renaissance.
26 May 2011 at 19:00
Wellcome Trust-funded feature length documentary on stem cells. The
film is a collaboration between an Edinburgh based team of filmmakers
and scientists. Director is Amy Hardie (Docspace,Scottish Documentary
Institute) and Scientific Producer Dr Clare Blackburn (MRC Centre for
Regenerative Medicine, University of Edinburgh).

The film investigates the science, ethics and societal issues around
stem cell research. From past breakthrough to subsequent clinical
applications.

Prof Peter Andrews, co-director of the Centre for Stem Cell Biology at
the University of Sheffield will take part in the screening organised
in Sheffield.
This May we have our regular Scheduled Café Scientifique and two
Cafés Scientifiques Encores

Monday, 09th May 2011 at 7pm in the bar of The Showroom
James Williams & Holly Castleton
From the E-Futures Project, University of Sheffield.

[...]

More info: contact the organisers via cafes...@gmail.com

See more at http://www.sciencecafesheffield.org
Or our Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7243805881
Or follow us on Twitter @SciCafe

Sharpen your interest and knowledge of science in an informal and
friendly atmosphere. Cafe Scientifique is an opportunity for all
members of the public to meet practising scientists. Take part in a
debate/discussion around a drink or plate of food at the Showroom Bar.

The Showroom Cinema, Paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX, Tel: 0114 275
7727
Web: http://www.showroom.org.uk

Admission is FREE, No need to sign up.
If you are visually/hearing impaired or have other special access
needs and would like to attend the event, please get in touch with us
in advance, and we will try our best to arrange for help to make the
event accessible to you.

Format: Generally the Cafe begins at 7.00pm in the restaurant area of
the Showroom. We begin with a short presentation of about 20 minutes
from a guest speaker, followed by a break to allow people to refresh
their glasses and think of questions they may wish to ask. During the
break there are also small group discussions before a larger
discussion takes place which can get quite lively!

Cafe Scientifique is sponsored by LloydsTSB