Cafe Sci 14 May

cafes...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2018, 5:46:16 AM4/30/18
to Café Scientifique Sheffield

14 May 2018 (note: not 7 May, which is a bank holiday)

7.00 pm

Trust and empathy: how people share information on online health forums

Peter A Bath, University of Sheffield

Abstract

The experience of being diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening illness is devastating. People in this challenging situation may turn to online health forums for support from other people with the condition.  Online forums connect people going through similar experiences, and provide a safe space to share information, experiences and emotions. Our project “A Shared Space and a Space for Sharing” explores the experiences of people living with Breast Cancer and Motor Neurone Disease who are members of online health forums provided by two leading UK charities. In the talk, we will be talking about how trust and empathy are vital parts of online sharing, they both encourage sharing and help to shape what is shared. Come and hear inspiring stories of the power of sharing.

Please book by going to:

https://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/cafe-scientifique

and look for NOW BOOKING.

The event is FREE.