Next Cafe Monday 8 May

cafes...@gmail.com

May 1, 2017, 4:48:53 AM5/1/17
to Café Scientifique Sheffield

Grey Matters: The Future of Ageing (Cafe Scientifique)

Monday, May 8 at 7 PM - 9 PM

Showroom Cafe Bar Sheffield

A Café Scientifique special is back again after its success last December.

Café Scientifique is teaming up with the University of Sheffield's Doctoral Academy with the support of the Public Engagement and Impact Team in Research & Innovation Services to bring a new flavour to Sheffield Café Scientifique.

The theme is: Grey Matters: The Future of Ageing, and offers the latest research by doctoral students at the University of Sheffield on this topic. Presentations will be in the five-minute style: a fun and engaging fast moving presentation with PowerPoint slides, where speakers will be limited to five slides in total. As usual, after a short break, we open the mic for questions and comments.

Please join us to gain a holistic view on the latest research around ageing and well-being in later life.

Our three speakers are:

Zhengqi Chen is a third-year PhD student in the University of Sheffield Medical School. With previous education in bio-technology, her current research focus is possible life and health span extension using medical interventions.

Talk Summary: With the estimation that by 2050, 1 in 4 people in the UK will be over 65 years of age, there has been increasing research into ageing over the past decade. Instead of investigating a single age-related disease, delaying the ageing process is a possible way of delaying the onset of all age-related diseases. So, what are the possible ways of delaying ageing, and does it mean anything beyond just living for longer?

Sam Hassan is a final year PhD student at the University of Sheffield. His work focuses on the way stem cells alter as they age, especially on the role of DNA damage, and the potential to reverse these changes.

Talk Summary: Ageing is the main risk factor for cancer, heart disease, osteoarthritis and indeed many other diseases. This means that as we get older our susceptibility to these conditions increases. But why does this happen? What is driving ageing and why does it make us more likely to develop diseases? Can we intervene?

Louise Newbould is a PhD student looking at the use of video-conferencing for remote health care provision by care homes for older people. This project is funded by the Abbeyfield Trust.

Previously she worked as a Research Assistant within the University of Sheffield on two ageing related projects: ‘Lifestyle Matters’, an occupational therapy based intervention for those aged 65 years and over, and 'Putting Life in Years' (PLINY), a telephone friendship group-intervention to improve mental wellbeing in community living older adults aged 75 years and older.

Twitter:@NewboudlL

Talk Summary: ‘Is anybody there?’ Health care provision for older adults residing in care homes.

In the UK, it is estimated that 416,000 older adults (age 65+) live in care homes, a figure expected to rise due to our increasingly ageing population. Therefore, it is likely that the need for care homes will increase across the country. This will necessitate the development and assessment of innovative methods for delivering efficient health care in the care sector.

This project explores the factors that affect the uptake and sustainability of videoconferencing for remote health care delivery in care homes.