Modeling the erosion of reach-mode flood events in a daily time period

Manuel

Aug 27, 2021, 7:39:52 AM8/27/21
to caesar-lisflood
Hello everyone,
I am currently trying to model erosion in an area affected by the flood in western Germany this July 2021. Here, over the period of a few days, the water flow of the small river Erft increased by up to ten times. The river overflowed its banks, flooding a field and flowing into a large gravel pit. Due to regressive erosion, the edge of the gravel pit was shifted back by up to a hundred meters and the field was eroded to a depth of up to 5 meters.
Does anyone have experience modeling such drastic erosion within such a short period of time in Caesar in Reach Mode?
I'm currently a bit stuck and barely getting any erosion, even though I've tried a lot of combinations on the parameters.
I am very grateful for any help or advice!

Attached is an aerial photo of the erosion structures: https://www.zdf.de/assets/kiesgrube-erftstadt-blessem-100~1280x720?cb=1627142901187
Otherwise just google for "Erftstadt-Blessem gravel pit".

Cheers to everyone

Manuel Ehnis
manuel.ehnis(at)t-online.de

tom.co...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2021, 3:47:28 AM9/1/21
to caesar-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Manuel,

Sorry for the late reply. Things that normally slow down erosion in CL are grainsize and possibly the sediment transport rule… what parameters are you using? Happy to have a look if you want to email over your files. Tom