Disc pawls library - circular, rotational engagement

neri-engineering

Jun 3, 2024, 3:38:41 PMJun 3
to CadQuery
Hello everyone.  I made my move to Europe.  Am in Munich, Germany.  I still aspire to complete the CadQuery "animator module" that I almost finished working on, and I left off without having completed an SVG generation improvement which would use curves instead of straight line segments, esp. in case of drawing ellipses with few points, ~20 points, which makes SVG outline drawing very coarse but only in some circumstances (if I recall correctly with perspective camera projection).

To get my feet wet after moving to Europe I transferred some of my work from OpenSCAD to CadQuery - in particular I'm sharing a library for generating what I term "disc pawl plates".

The lightweight code lib for pawl plates can be downloaded from this URL, and there are no external dependencies:  https://svn.code.sf.net/p/nl10/code/cq-code/common/disc_pawls.py
The URL is permanent, but fixes and improvements will be made as necessary.

The following code would generate the following object:

outer =  9.0
inner =  5.0
depth =  0.8
pawls = 7
ohang =  0.3
bolap =  0.0

base = disc_pawls(outer_r= outer,
                  inner_r= inner,
                  pawl_depth= depth,
                  n_pawls_per_circle= pawls,
                  pawl_overhang= ohang,
                  base_overlap= bolap)

pawls-hello-world.png

In the source code (lib) file lined above, the sample code at top of file, which is commented out, would generate this:

pawls-freewheel.png

In particular, the lines at the bottom of source code file facilitate "animation" logic, in both freewheel and in positive engagement directions.

Here are some additional images to give better context to what this library provides:

pawls-openscad.png

pawls-sm.gif

The hardest part of this lightweight lib was figuring out a best-of-all-worlds way of providing an "overhang" for positive engagement between pawl plates.  Quite a bit of thought went into that, and the code isn't that complicated as a result.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

neri-engineering

Jun 3, 2024, 3:43:23 PMJun 3
to neri-engineering, CadQuery

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

--
cadquery home: https://github.com/CadQuery/cadquery
post issues at https://github.com/CadQuery/cadquery/issues

Adam Urbanczyk

Jun 7, 2024, 12:17:48 PMJun 7
to CadQuery
Cool, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the animation module being released.