ellipseArc Using Eccentric Anomaly

Patrick Dees

Jun 6, 2024, 1:03:57 PMJun 6
to CadQuery
As part of my work I have needed to create an ellipseArc whose ending angle is somewhere in the first quadrant. From extensive testing I have determined that when I have a calculated endpoint of the arc and calculate the central polar angle of the ellipse which corresponds, the endPoint vector of the ellipseArc does not match. If however I calculate the angle as eccentric anomaly, it does match. I can find no documentation of this anywhere in the CADQuery or openCASCADE documentation, nor could I find it from my forays into the source code of both. Is this an implicit assumption within geometry modeling? If desired I have example code proving this.

Adam Urbanczyk

Jun 7, 2024, 1:59:32 AMJun 7
to CadQuery
Yes, please provide an example.

Patrick Dees

Jun 7, 2024, 12:53:08 PMJun 7
to CadQuery
The attached notebook walks through definitions and creates plots of the topic and demonstrates my finding.

If you agree with it, all I recommend is a small update to the documentation of Workplane.ellipseArc.

polar_elliptical_angles_discussion.ipynb

Patrick Dees

Jun 7, 2024, 1:08:00 PMJun 7
to CadQuery
On review i wasn't happy with one of the plots, please use the attached
polar_elliptical_angles_discussion.ipynb