Big Sur Spring 2019 Camp and Fly

Jeff Salisbury

Feb 18, 2019, 3:18:10 PM2/18/19
to Paragliding
Hi all,

I've heard that Big Sur (California coast) is one of the most beautiful sites to fly in the world.  The Santa Barbara Soaring Association sponsors a fly-in each Fall and Spring.  This Spring, the fly-in is scheduled for Apr 5th through the 7th.  Here's this Spring's event on Facebook:

   https://www.facebook.com/events/335197470665089/

Here's a YouTube video from a previous year's event:

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ1WHd9czho

Who's interested?

Jeff

Dave Morrey

Feb 18, 2019, 3:32:26 PM2/18/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I might be able to go. Let me dig a bit and see how I can make it work. When do you need to know by? Also do you have an idea on cost?

--
Our default radio frequency: 145.555 MHz

Our shared folder (for pictures, etc) is: http://goo.gl/7TA0k2
---

Jeff Salisbury

Feb 18, 2019, 3:49:19 PM2/18/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I believe the only hard cost is a $30 membership fee in the Santa Barbara Soaring Association.  The other costs are travel and camping.

There's no hard deadline on a commitment to go, either.  Also, because of our dependency on the weather, we wouldn't make the final call to actually go until 1 or 2 days before (after consulting with local pilots in the know).

Mike Walsh

Feb 18, 2019, 3:51:18 PM2/18/19
to Paragliding
Arg, I can't make it that weekend.  Have a blast.  Thanks for looking into that!

Mike

Adam Black

Feb 18, 2019, 4:17:02 PM2/18/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I’d be interested in going, it’s dependent on how our dogs surgery and recover goes though. Is is a USHPA site?   I wasn’t planning on renewing this year as I never fly USHPA sites and I’m not going for a P4 any time too soon.

-Adam

Sent from my iPhone

Brian Hestetune

Feb 18, 2019, 9:02:45 PM2/18/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
What about a weekend that's not the fly in?

Mike Walsh

Feb 18, 2019, 11:22:42 PM2/18/19
to Paragliding
I like that idea!

Braedin Butler

Feb 18, 2019, 11:36:22 PM2/18/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Is it an ushpa site then?

Dustin Hawkes

Feb 18, 2019, 11:57:56 PM2/18/19
to cacherichparagliding
I'm also curious about the site and if I'd be permitted to fly.

Jeff Salisbury

Feb 18, 2019, 11:59:26 PM2/18/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking into it...

Mike Walsh

Feb 19, 2019, 12:06:42 AM2/19/19
to Paragliding
FYI - I was in Bandon, Oregon (on the coast) about a year ago and ran into some paragliders that said the soaring was really good in that area.  I can look into that more if the other doesn't work out.  I do not think it is a USHPA site.

Mike

Leslie H

Feb 19, 2019, 8:59:35 AM2/19/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Looks interesting.. coastal soaring.. 😊

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

James Hull

Feb 19, 2019, 10:20:00 AM2/19/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
It would be criminal to be that close to wood rat and not fly there..

Jim

Mike Packard

Feb 19, 2019, 2:43:11 PM2/19/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I’m interested in this trip. I’ve flown Big Sur once. Absolutely beautiful.

Sent from my iPad

Korey Curtis

Feb 19, 2019, 3:33:04 PM2/19/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Well, if Mike P. goes, I'll go :-)

Dave Morrey

Feb 19, 2019, 3:38:02 PM2/19/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I would love to go.

P .LeGoubin

Feb 19, 2019, 3:58:31 PM2/19/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone

Jeff Salisbury

Feb 19, 2019, 4:20:08 PM2/19/19
On 2/18/2019 7:02 PM, Brian Hestetune wrote:
> What about a weekend that's not the fly in?

I'm very open to a different weekend (other than Apr 5-7) if we can arrange a site intro from locals, and fly with locals, and also arrange for shuttles (or drivers) between the LZ and launch.

I've started reaching out to local clubs and schools to see about this (above), and also to see if Big Sur is a USHPA site or not.

Stay tuned!!!

Leslie H

Feb 19, 2019, 4:31:45 PM2/19/19
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I like the real event days and groups...
weather is a different thing.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

sounds like a group.. we are thinking about it, friday down , monday back..