Holiday Gifts for Land-Owners

Jeff Salisbury

Dec 17, 2018, 8:45:08 PM12/17/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

It's that time of year where we have traditionally put together a gift of appreciation for our land-owner hosts.  They continue to be extraordinarily generous and gracious in allowing us all to use their property for our flying.  We have all enjoyed many, many hours of flying due to their generosity.

If you want to contribute towards a gift for Terry Lamb, Cleve & Sue Steed, Paul & Kim Willie, and/or Cody & Shiloh Reese you can send money using one of several methods:

1) Paypal: If you are comfortable using Paypal, send money to this email address:

      Jeff...@BeaconPlanning.com

Note:  If you send the money through Paypal using one of your credit cards, Paypal takes a 2-5% haircut.  You can avoid the haircut by sending money out of a savings or checking account instead (use the Paypal "Send money to friends and family" option).

2) Mail or Drop-off: If you prefer, you can mail or drop money off at my office:

     Jeff Salisbury
     Beacon Financial Planning, LLC
     95 West 100 South, Suite 210
     Logan, Utah  84321-5811

If you are going to drop money off, you may want to call first (435-753-3888).  However, my office door has a secure mail-slot and if nobody is at my office during business hours (rare) it is safe for you put your contribution through our mail-slot (please include a note who the money is from).

Unless you specify otherwise, we will roughly allocate the money to different land-owners according the amount of flying done over their property.

We're not planning to get the gifts to land-owners before Christmas, but we're shooting for sometime around New Years.

We welcome any suggestions for the actual gifts.  Also, anybody is welcomed to help shop for the gifts and/or help deliver the gifts.  Delivering these gifts is a blast!  Let me know if you want to join!

In past years, I've had more than one person ask about an appropriate contribution amount. That we simply show up and express our appreciation to our land-owners goes such a long way!  The contributions simply allow us to show up with something in hand and leave them a tangible token of our appreciation.

Contribution amounts given by each person are kept confidential.  Also, for anyone who contributes anything (cash, goods, or labor putting together the calendar, etc), their name goes on the card to each land owner.  Contribution amounts are NOT listed on the cards, and names are ordered alphabetically.

So, please feel good about whatever you're able to contribute!

I'm always amazed at the number of people who step up for these gifts!  I feel lucky and grateful to call you all friends, and lucky to be able to do this sport with ya'll.

Jeff

Josh Heater

Dec 18, 2018, 10:12:30 AM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for putting this together. I'm happy to contribute to the gift fund! I have never met any of the landowners, so its a easy way for me to say a big thank you!

I am so very grateful for the kind landowners that let us fly on their land!

We are very very fortunate to have such kind hosts. Merry Christmas!

--
Our default radio frequency: 145.555 MHz

Our shared folder (for pictures, etc) is: http://goo.gl/7TA0k2
---

Josh Heater

Cody Dobson

Dec 18, 2018, 9:32:13 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

I’m sending my contribution through PayPal but I wanted to take a moment to thank you. Thank you for many things.

Thank you for building good relationships with landowners. Matt and I knew how important this is, and we did our best, but you’ve put our efforts to shame. Kudos!

Thank you for welcoming all free flyers and instilling the

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 6:45 PM Jeff Salisbury <Jeff...@beaconplanning.com> wrote:

Cody Dobson

Dec 18, 2018, 9:44:30 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

I think I sent a partial email to you just a minute ago, sorry.

I had started to express my gratitude for all you’ve done for the free flying community. I think I got as far as thank you for building and growing such good relationships with the land owners. I also wanted to thank you for all the community building you’ve done with pilots and how you’ve instilled an appreciation for the privilege we all enjoy in using private property in our quest for airtime.

Years ago I used to host a Labor Day Fly In and BBQ at my house. We’d launch the Towers and land in the field next to my house here in Paradise to eat and tell lies. Families were all invited. That ended when the property sold and we lost access to that launch. Now that you’ve rebuilt that relationship, I’d love to renew the tradition. Do you think that’s something people would be interested in?

Many thanks, and merry Christmas. You’ll be receiving my PayPal donation for landowner gifts shortly.

Best regards,

Cody

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 6:45 PM Jeff Salisbury <Jeff...@beaconplanning.com> wrote:

Keenan Ryan

Dec 18, 2018, 9:52:07 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Are you saying you'd launch the Brigham towers then fly over the back and land in Paradise?

Brina James

Dec 18, 2018, 9:56:24 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Is that a thing? Fly over the back? I'd love to do events like that!!
Brina

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Cody Dobson

Dec 18, 2018, 10:32:14 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Doable on nearly any day you can get a few hundred feet over launch. Dry Lake is a safe bailout (bumpy decent but smooths out a couple of hundred feet agl.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:52 PM Keenan Ryan <keenan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you saying you'd launch the Brigham towers then fly over the back and land in Paradise?

Keenan Ryan

Dec 18, 2018, 10:39:46 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I've done it before.  Flew over the back then hit Avon and then bounced my way back home to River Heights.  It just doesn't strike me as a do it whenever type of flight.  Sounds like a fun tradition.

Jeff Salisbury

Dec 18, 2018, 11:39:14 PM12/18/18
On 12/18/2018 7:44 PM, Cody Dobson wrote:
> Years ago I used to host a Labor Day Fly In and BBQ at my house. We’d launch the Towers and land in the field next to my house here in Paradise to eat and tell lies. Families were all invited. That ended when the property sold and we lost access to that launch. Now that you’ve rebuilt that relationship, I’d love to renew the tradition. Do you think that’s something people would be interested in?
I think the turnout from our group would be huge, Cody!

Cody Dobson

Dec 18, 2018, 11:44:34 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I may have overstated the ease of this but...

My house is 7.6 miles and 2000-2500’ below launch. A 20::1 glide, so it’s not a gimme, but just one good climb away. It’s a lot of fun, a great task for pilots new to XC flying (providing the westerly isn’t so strong as to create unsafe lee side conditions). If they are, we could declare a task north along the ridge. I always had retrieval drivers lined up in any case so no one would miss the barbecue. :-)

Matt Shoemaker

Dec 18, 2018, 11:54:50 PM12/18/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
I couldn’t have said it better than Cody, so I will just echo his words and say Ditto!..Jeff and everyone in this group have done an amazing job maintaining and building relationships with landowners! Thank you for everyone’s efforts to keep foot-launched free-flyin’ available to us all!

My one attempt at over the back to Cody’s resulted in scratchin’ over Pisgah, then bailing to safely land in Dry lake, although in retrospect I probably had it on glide if I would have committed. I would be up for another shot at it :-)

I’ll drop some cash off to you, Jeff before year’s end :-)

- - - - - - - - - - -
Best Regards,

Matt Shoemaker

James Hull

Dec 19, 2018, 11:43:32 AM12/19/18
to cacherichp...@googlegroups.com
What everybody else said. Such a breath of fresh air to have a drama-free place to fly!

Mike Walsh

Dec 19, 2018, 12:01:42 PM12/19/18
to Paragliding
What Jim Hull said!