Northeast 400 for Ocean Passages?

Ben Ho

Aug 21, 2021, 12:08:52 AM8/21/21
to caborico
This motorsailor seems to be a perfect boat for sailing around the Pacific Northwest. I realize this is not a blue-water boat, but I wonder what are peope's experiences sailing on open water, such as Florida to the Carribbean - any challenges?

Ben

LARRY BARKER

Aug 21, 2021, 1:17:27 PM8/21/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
What makes you think this is not a blue water boat?
Same build and hull ( I think) as a standard 38, 40 or 42.......
All blue water boats.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 21, 2021, at 12:37 AM, Ben Ho <benc...@gmail.com> wrote:

This motorsailor seems to be a perfect boat for sailing around the Pacific Northwest. I realize this is not a blue-water boat, but I wonder what are peope's experiences sailing on open water, such as Florida to the Carribbean - any challenges?

Ben

Matthew Cohen

Aug 21, 2021, 1:37:54 PM8/21/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Same hull is not exactly right. It is a very different hull shape and she carries her weight very differently than the CR42. I would not say she is not offshore capable but I would not compare to the traditional CR designs. Also to note, Bruckmann makes a 50 of the same design as the NE400 and from having close looks at several of them they are extremely well built.

Matt

On Aug 21, 2021, at 1:17 PM, 'LARRY BARKER' via caborico <cabo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

What makes you think this is not a blue water boat?

EMAIL SERVICE

Aug 21, 2021, 3:29:50 PM8/21/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Do your research for Blue water boats I think Cabo Rico is right there!

Aug 22, 2021, 12:54:13 AM8/22/21
to caborico
Don't get me wrong, I do think Cabo Rico builds great blue-water boats and the NE400 is a lovely design and seems to be well built. However the NE400 as a motorsailor does not have the usual attributes of an ocean-going boat, i.e. with her large windows, relatively low ballast-displacement ratio, rigging/sails not naturally meant for severe weather, etc.  So I don't mean to debate the merits of the boat, but am mainly interested in hearing owners' actual experiences in sailing her on open waters.

cheers
B.

cab...@aol.com

Aug 22, 2021, 9:02:19 AM8/22/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
She has more volume in the stern to keep the boat level when you apply throttle. If I remember right that was the main difference in the hull shape. I don't remember if it can take a 360 in stride or not with the type of raised cabin it has?

Matthew Cohen

Aug 22, 2021, 11:52:39 AM8/22/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have a friend with one (eastern LI) and have sailed aboard. One of my favorite boats and she performs extremely well. Here is a great resource to understand the differences between models.

Regards
Matt
42PH