CR34 pointing ability & polars

Chuck Batson

Jun 18, 2021, 1:49:00 PM6/18/21
to caborico
Greetings, I’m not a racer but do ok with sail trim. Last time I was out in my CR34 I could only go as high as 55 degrees apparent wind angle (about 16 knots apparent wind speed). This wasn’t good enough to reach our windward destination, so we motored. Being able to point 10 degrees higher would’ve made a big difference. My questions are -

1. As a sanity check, how well are others able to point in their CR34s?

2. Does anyone have CR34 polars they’re able to share, or can you point me to a source for them?

Just looking for a sanity check. If others are able to point higher, I know I can work on my sail trim. If not, I’ll just have a better idea of when it’s time for the iron genoa.

Thanks,
Chuck
CR34 #34
Sparklemuffin

Dave Newberg

Jun 18, 2021, 11:45:45 PM6/18/21
to cabo79 via caborico
Hello Chuck,

Although we sold Cigano (our CR34) just three weeks ago, I can say with confidence that over 15 years of abundant sailing, we could typically point under 045° apparent, and quite often near 040° apparent. These are apparent angles taken from our Raymarine Wind instrument, vs. true, as we didn’t have it set to calculate for that, and I rarely bothered to do the math for true.

These readings would be observations in the range of wind you’re talking about, 15+ knots up to 20 or more knots of apparent wind speed, in relatively flat seas.
In lieu of purely motoring into the wind, which we loathe, especially as wind speed increases and seas build, we usually prefer to motorsail, keeping as tight a course as possible (surprisingly close) to the wind, thus maintaining a very agreeable comfort level onboard.

Just a thought . . . perhaps you might check the trim of your mast, maybe your rig tension?

Dave

Chuck Batson

Jun 19, 2021, 12:14:03 PM6/19/21
to caborico
Dave, thank you for the very informative data point. This tells me I have some work to do. I could not get that high without sacrificing speed / pinching. She was pretty heavily laden and seas were choppy, 4-6 ft @ 6 sec. I'll experiment more in calmer conditions.

Thanks for the motorsailing tip, I often forget that's an option. In this case, even just motoring direct to the destination, we averaged below 2 knots SOG at 2,500 RPM. (Generally instantaneous speed was around 3 knots but waves would frequently knock that down.) Had to go straight there to make the anchorage before nightfall.

Chuck

Chuck Batson

Jun 19, 2021, 12:17:29 PM6/19/21
to caborico
Dave - it just sunk in that you sold Cigano. This forum has long benefitted from the depth of your wisdom, and I'm glad to see you're still here. I do hope you'll continue to lurk. :) What's next for you?

Chuck

Dave Newberg

Jun 20, 2021, 1:24:26 PM6/20/21
to cabo79 via caborico
Hello Chuck and all,

Yes, Cigano is gone, a bittersweet moment, but one just knows when it’s time to cut the line and let go, aging knees and all. It was clearly time to downsize.
We had a hell of a run with her, and we would absolutely, and confidently chose that boat again in a heartbeat, above all others.

I will certainly lurk about here on the forum as long as my eyes and key-tapping fingers keep working — once a Cabo Rico fanatic, always a Cabo Rico fanatic.
I’ve been a bit absent recently, being absorbed by the rather consuming sale-related efforts.
We have reciprocally benefitted from the knowledge of so many others here as well — many thanks to all of you. This is truly a great, supportive group.

There will always be a sailboat in our life, but we know nothing will stack up to Cigano.
I hesitate to admit to the project-boat we just adopted — a Southcoast 22 but it just sort of landed in our lap, as they say.

Our very best wishes to all here in the forum, and may the fairest of winds be at your sterns.

Cheers
Dave

Leslie Owen

Jun 25, 2021, 12:35:13 PM6/25/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Dave let me first congratulate on your sale of your beautiful vessel. I’m sure there is a mixed feeling as she moves on to take a new captain on to more adventures.
Your generosity with your knowledge and your eye for specifics will be missed here. You always offered a logical solution and user experience to help us all.

I hope you will not be a stranger but will be a lurker in our midsts. I would love to hear your new plans and adventures.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Leslie

Leslie G. Owen
s/v Tango, CR hull #2