Stuffing Box

jpcor...@embarqmail.com

Jul 10, 2017, 3:52:09 PM7/10/17
to caborico
I have searched this forum and saw requests for stuffing box material size but no responses.  CR38 # 114.  Any Help?

Robert Benner

Jul 10, 2017, 3:56:47 PM7/10/17
to Thierry Danz
With a 1 1/4 inch shaft I use 1/4 inch packing.

Bob Benner
CR38 Hull 100

On 10 July 2017 at 15:52, <jpcor...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
I have searched this forum and saw requests for stuffing box material size but no responses.  CR38 # 114.  Any Help?

jpcor...@embarqmail.com

cab...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2017, 1:18:00 AM7/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
It's smaller than a !/4", I would have to look but 1/8 or 3/16

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

cab...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2017, 1:20:43 AM7/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I use the Teflon impregnated it will last 6 years or more with some tightening as you go along.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

Jul 12, 2017, 7:22:32 AM7/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Mine was 1/8 "

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

charlie kelly

Jul 12, 2017, 8:43:07 AM7/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I think Bob is Right Brenner I think that the quarter inch is undoubtably the stuff to use I sure agree with using the Teflon I've used that with great success yeah this is Charlie with Caba Rico Tiburon 36 number 8

cabo79

Jul 12, 2017, 8:48:14 AM7/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yep, 1/8" it must be, remember it was smaller than I thought it might be. It's been 6 years since I pulled the boat, it gets pulled this year. The Teflon packing is the way to go, just tighten it slightly each time you have too.

It's smaller than a !/4", I would have to look but 1/8 or 3/16

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

cabo79

Jul 12, 2017, 8:50:19 AM7/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I think the 1/4" goes around the rudder post. I replaced that once.

Jul 12, 2017, 10:05:00 AM7/12/17
to Thierry Danz
The size of packing is easily calculated.  Just subtract the shaft diameter from the internal diameter of the shaft log and divide by 2.

If you have the old Buck Algonquin shaft log which was on many CR38s with a 1 1/4 inch shaft you use 1/4 inch packing.

Of course if you have a different shaft diameter or different ID on the shaft log then you will use differently sized packing.

The quick question deserved a quick answer.  No need to complicate the obvious.

Bob

On 12 July 2017 at 01:17, cabo79 via caborico <cabo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
It's smaller than a !/4", I would have to look but 1/8 or 3/16

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

cabo79

Jul 12, 2017, 9:58:37 PM7/12/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
At the boat, 1/8 "for #19.

Nov 14, 2017, 11:06:26 AM11/14/17
to caborico
yes - 3/16" for us on #117

I recommend getting one size higher and one size lower the first time, just to make sure you have the right size.

Then write it down in your log!

jpcorri...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2017, 7:02:24 AM12/30/17
to caborico
Lots of trying but finally wound up with 1/8".  Thanks for your help all.  If needed I have several sixes not used for sale.  LOL