Dorinda S/V Corsair on the C. Bay. Leaking Perko bronze portlights with glass

potter...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 4:31:34 PM4/15/21
to caborico
Water is leaking around the glass in on one of our original, bronze portlights (1980 CR 38).  Any suggestions on the proper type of sealant to use on these old portlights to stop the leak?
Thanks,

LARRY BARKER

Apr 15, 2021, 6:34:19 PM4/15/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
The port lights split for inserting the glass.  Make sure it leaks there not around the outer seal .
Clear Silicone works well.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2021, at 4:31 PM, potter...@gmail.com <potter...@gmail.com> wrote:

Water is leaking around the glass in on one of our original, bronze portlights (1980 CR 38).  Any suggestions on the proper type of sealant to use on these old portlights to stop the leak?
Thanks,

potter...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 7:13:16 PM4/15/21
to caborico
We are sure it's the glass, we replaced all the port seals last fall.

Mickey Panayiotakis

Apr 15, 2021, 10:08:49 PM4/15/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Soft butyl tape. Where on the bay are you? Im uo by the west river

Mickey Panayiotakis
202-451-0318 or schedule a call if you prefer

nichola...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 8:51:29 AM4/16/21
to caborico
I just rebuilt the port lights (ABI) on Far and Away. I dismantled them with patience and single edge razor blades. Cleaned the metal extremely thoroughly with a Dremel tool with wire wheel mostly, plus acetone. Obtained new glass from an auto glass shop. (I stayed with laminated safety glass, rather than the stronger - I guess - tempered glass because I wanted the glass to at least hold together if it broke. Make sure the glass is cut as large as will easily fit in the port, so as to maximize sealing surface - my original glass was perhaps a bit small.) On advice of Annapolis Maritime Plastics, who do glass work for high end yachts and were very helpful by phone, I used Dowsil 795 black for the sealant, and used Dowsil 1200 OS primer on metal and glass sealing surfaces. Again on advice, I used lint free cloths fromNAPA, suction cups (McMaster Carr, cheap) to handle the glass after cleaning and priming, and wore rubber gloves, all to avoid contaminating the surfaces.

Honestly, I don't know if all this was necessary or even successful - the boat is not launched yet and I look forward to putting a hard hose spray on the ports  - but obviously this is a job one wants to be successful so I went on solid advice and followed it carefully.

Redid the neoprene gaskets too, again McMaster Carr.

Dorinda Morpeth

Apr 16, 2021, 9:08:33 AM4/16/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Good morning, thanks for the tips/suggestions.  We are at Shipwright Harbor Marina just across from Herrington North, Deale

Dorinda

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/caborico/CAPZNwe1%2BrFsz2sH4X%3D7FM3WBG6rMOUn2HTwzjxMV3y8O45s8zA%40mail.gmail.com.

Mickey Panayiotakis

Apr 16, 2021, 9:26:14 AM4/16/21
to caborico
Hi Dorinda

I've had my 1980 CR38 for over 10 years, and = I'm at Holiday Hill in Edgewater--happy to show you how I've done my portlights.

mickey