Potential bicycle ban on Palos Verdes Drive South?

William Hooper

Mar 23, 2024, 12:56:40 PMMar 23
to CABOforum
The City of Rancho Palos Verdes has said it is considering a ban on bicycles and motorcycles on a part of Palos Verdes Drive South, due to land movement:

“’We may be prohibiting bicyclists and motorcyclists in the near future,’ [Public Works Director Ramzi] Awwad said.” — “‘Unprecedented’ land movement could force temporary closure of Palos Verdes Drive South,” Daily Breeze, March 21

“May prohibit bicyclists & motorcycles” — Slide 25 of the presentation from the City Council’s March 19 agenda, item 1 under Regular Business

Has anyone contacted the City to challenge this?

I realize it may be difficult to maintain the road—for those less familiar with the area, it’s the one with “CONSTANT LAND MOVEMENT” signs—and if the City has to close it entirely, that would be unfortunate but lawful. As I understand it, however, by California state law, any street or highway (except a freeway, expressway, or toll bridge) that’s open to vehicular traffic has to be open to bicycles, too.

William Hooper

John Eldon

Mar 23, 2024, 12:59:43 PMMar 23
to CABOforum, William Hooper
I am very familiar with stretch of road from the late 1970s, when my friend and I used to drive down to Wayfarer's Chapel after work to install their upgraded sound system. That road is always an adventure, but I would rather tackle it on my mountain bike than in a car.

John E.

Jim Baross

Mar 23, 2024, 5:42:28 PMMar 23
to wsho...@gmail.com, Cabo Forum
It isn't clear to me that vehicles would not be prohibited too. If vehicular travel is allowed, bicycle and motorcycle travel should be allowed also.
What am I missing?

William Hooper

Jun 6, 2024, 10:31:57 PMJun 6
to CABOforum
It’s been reported that the City of Rancho Palos Verdes is planning to move ahead with “prohibiting bicycles and motorcycles on Palos Verdes Drive South,” according to an e-mail from a City official, rather than closing the road entirely or maintaining it to be safe for all users. Other discussions:
https://bikinginla.com/2024/05/31/beverly-hills-backslides-on-bike-safety-rancho-palos-verdes-considers-bike-ban-and-a-prop-cash-bike-theft-scammer/

This will supposedly be on the agenda for the June 18 meeting of the City Council.

I realize there are unusual circumstances here, but as I see it, any erosion of the principle that bicyclists have the same rights to the road as other traffic shouldn’t be allowed to pass unchallenged.

William Hooper

John Eldon

Jun 6, 2024, 10:50:10 PMJun 6
to CABOforum, William Hooper
I agree with you regarding setting of an unacceptable precedent. The "seek alternate routes" advice is laughable to anyone familiar with the configurations and slopes of the local streets.

In the late 1970s my friend from my high school days and I installed a new sound system at Wayfarers', where he and his wife had gotten married a year or two prior. We used to drive down there on weekends or evenings after our day jobs, and that road, even back then, was always an "adventure." Yes, it is an exceptional situation, but the road is certainly doable for anyone exercising a modicum of caution. I always resent the second-grade attitude that "since a few people abused a given privilege, everyone else must lose it, as well."

John A. Eldon

William Sellin

Jun 7, 2024, 12:04:37 AMJun 7
to wsho...@gmail.com, CABOforum
saw this sign posted there last Thursday:

Infrastructure Review Committee
Pete Van Nuys • Bill Sellin • Brian Cox • Rock Kendall, Esq.

      OCBike.org

Jim Baross

Jun 7, 2024, 12:51:27 AMJun 7
to wsho...@gmail.com, CABOforum
We must be squeaky wheels informing decision-makers there that they may not prohibit bicycling where general traffic/motor vehicles are not prohibited, exceptions being limited access highways/freeways where alternative routes are available.
Who lives/votes there and can either speak up on their own or with CABO/OUR HELP?
Let me know.

Jim Baross
Board Member, League of American Bicyclists
President, Calif. Assoc. of Bicycling Organizations
Board Member, San Diego County Bicycle Coalition

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack
06/06/24, 09:44:37 PM