California speed limits

Gary Cziko

May 27, 2022, 10:45:31 PM5/27/22
to Cabo Forum
People,

I picked up the 2022 Driving in California booklet at an AAA office today. Some quite interesting stuff.

About speed limits on page 64:

“Remember that you should not drive faster than the posted or maximum speed limit, even if you think it is safe to do so. The only time you may exceed the posted limit (other than a maximum speed limit) is if you can demonstrate that your speed did not violate the Basic Speed Law at the time, place, andconditions then existing.”

It seems to me that the second sentence here contradicts the first sentence. What am I missing?

And what does the phrase “the posted speed limit (other than a maximum speed limit)” attempt to communicate? That there are posted speed limits somewhere that are not considered maximum speed limits?

I think this matter is relevant to cycling as these laws should also relate to cycling. Also consider that a Class 3 e-bike provides assistance up to 28 mph and 25 is the maximum speed in residential areas.

— Gary

--
Gary Cziko ("ZEE-ko"), Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus

Board of Directors, California Association of Bicycle Organizations (CABObike.org)
CyclingSavvy Instructor (CSI)
Board of Directors, American Bicycling Education Association (March 2015 - August 2021)
Expert Witness for Cyclists' Rights