Lawyer lips and John Forester

Serge Issakov

Apr 25, 2017, 9:22:02 PM4/25/17
to John Forester, Cabo Forum
John, if the account below is accurate, please share the history!

I had no idea lawyer lips were your fault, I mean triumph!

Serge

Lawyer lips or lawyer tabs (a type of positive retention device) are tabs fitted to the fork ends on the front fork of bicycles sold in some countries (particularly the U.S.) to prevent a wheel from leaving the fork if the quick release skewer comes undone. They were introduced in response to lawsuits supported by experts including John Forester, in cases where incorrectly adjusted quick release wheels came out of the forks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_end#Lawyer_lips

Judy Frankel

Apr 25, 2017, 9:28:22 PM4/25/17
to serge....@gmail.com, John Forester, Cabo Forum

John Howard told me they were his fault and he was an expert witness in the case.  My bike doesn’t have them

Judy

Judy Frankel

Apr 25, 2017, 9:33:36 PM4/25/17
to Serge Issakov, CABOforum

No.. John Howard told me he was the expert.. That was the story I heard

Apr 25, 2017, 9:37:13 PM4/25/17
to Serge Issakov, CABOforum

The wiki says they were the fault of experts.. John Howard was an “expert” witness in the lawsuit against the bike company

Gary Cziko

Apr 26, 2017, 12:44:45 AM4/26/17
to Judy Frankel, Serge Issakov, CABOforum
I've got three bikes without lawyer lips. One is a 1969 Peugeot PX-10. But the others are newer bikes.

It's nice when the front quick release releases quickly.

But not so nice when it does so when you don't want the front wheel released (hasn't happened to me yet).

-- Gary

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Judy Frankel <jud...@gmail.com> wrote:

John Howard told me they were his fault and he was an expert witness in the case.  My bike doesn’t have them

Judy

John, if the account below is accurate, please share the history!

I had no idea lawyer lips were your fault, I mean triumph!

Serge

Lawyer lips or lawyer tabs (a type of positive retention device) are tabs fitted to the fork ends on the front fork of bicycles sold in some countries (particularly the U.S.) to prevent a wheel from leaving the fork if the quick release skewer comes undone. They were introduced in response to lawsuits supported by experts including John Forester, in cases where incorrectly adjusted quick release wheels came out of the forks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_end#Lawyer_lips

Gary Cziko ("ZEE-ko"), PhD
Professor Emeritus, Educational Psychology

CyclingSavvy Instructor (CSI)
Board of Directors, American Bicycling Education Association (ABEA.bike)
Board of Directors, California Association of Bicycle Organizations (CABO)
Expert Witness for Cyclists' Rights

Pete van Nuys

Apr 26, 2017, 2:34:52 AM4/26/17
to Serge Issakov, John Forester, CABOforum, Judy Frankel
Bastard files quickly cure lawyer lips, giving new meaning to filing a legal brief.

Sent from my, believe it or not, BlackBerry
Sent: April 25, 2017 6:28 PM

John Howard told me they were his fault and he was an expert witness in the case.  My bike doesn’t have them

Judy

Jim Baross

Apr 26, 2017, 2:39:44 AM4/26/17
to Cabo Forum
Some history; John Howard presented a request to the SD Co. Bicycle Coalition that we endorse a requirement for all bikes to have the fork-ends have the "lawyer's lips". As I recall there was quite an impassioned discussion, and I seem to recall that the Coalition did not support his request. I don't recall if John F. participated.

Jim Baross
Bikes Right; and Left & Center
Bicycling Instructor/Advocate

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Judy Frankel <jud...@gmail.com> wrote:

The wiki says they were the fault of experts.. John Howard was an “expert” witness in the lawsuit against the bike company

Apr 26, 2017, 3:26:34 AM4/26/17
to Gary Cziko, Judy Frankel, Serge Issakov, CABOforum
Gary writes:
>But not so nice when it does so when you don't want the front wheel released (hasn't happened to me yet).

Well then...if you don't want the wheel to release, then fasten the lever before riding!!!

I simply CANNOT BELIEVE the outright IDIOCY of lawyer lips!!!

There is NO REASON IN HELL to have quick release levers when the idiot lawyer lips are present...it makes it CONSIDERABLY more difficult to remove/attach the wheels than the big wingnuts on Schwinn Gran Prix in the 1960s before QRs became universal, and when clueless folks with apparently very little common sense were foolishly supplied with them.

Fortunately lawyer lips are quite simple to file off...but I'm absolutely ASTOUNDED at the number of otherwise intelligent cyclists who somehow seem to think that they are some kind of useful "safety device".

Paul

Paul Wendt

Apr 26, 2017, 3:31:06 AM4/26/17
to Jim Baross, Cabo Forum
Biggest piece of outright IDIOCY in the history of cycling!

Require wingnuts unless someone signs a waiver saying they understand how QRs work would make a hell of a lot more sense

Am I "impassioned" about this issue?...

You bet!
Paul

John Eldon

Apr 26, 2017, 7:58:10 AM4/26/17
to cycl...@gmail.com, Jim Baross, Cabo Forum
I am sure this data base does not exist, but it would have been instructive to compare loose front wheel crash rates for the early 1970s Peugeot AO-8s (wingnuts) vs. UO-8s (same basic "10-speed," but with the familiar cam-based QR system Tullio Campagnolo had invented a few decades earlier).

John E.

Apr 26, 2017, 12:52:01 PM4/26/17
to Serge Issakov, Cabo Forum

The wikipedia account is completely inaccurate. As I remember the situation, the initial CPSC regulation was designed around what I called toy bicycles, the typical bicycles sold in America for decades, bought by parents for use by children. All of these used nutted axles, front and rear. The CPSC worried about front wheels falling off if the nuts loosened, and therefore required auxiliary retention devices. I remember two designs of these. One was thickened areas of the fork end below the axle. The other was a washer with an extended, bent-over, tab that fitted into a slot in the fork end above the axle. The purpose of each of these was to retain the axle in the fork end until the nuts had become greatly loosened. That is, it simply delayed the time before the front wheel disconnected, in the hope that, before this occurred, someone would retighten the nuts. This requirement is still in effect for nutted front axles. The idea that the CPSC regulation required toy bicycles and thereby prohibited real bicycles, which I publicized in several articles in the cycling press, raised merry hell. The CPSC received a flood of letters, some of them suggesting that the CPSC regulators perform unnatural and obscene acts with their bicycles. This produced a movement, led by Fred DeLong, who had been advising Schwinn Bicycle Company, to modify the regulation so that it permitted real bicycles. That occurred.

Under those revisions, bicycles equipped with cam-lock quick release mechanisms did not need auxiliary front wheel retention devices. Therefore, they were not so equipped. QRs had been used only on expensive bicycles; but they soon became offered on cheaper bicycles bought by the general public, who did not know how to use them. There were cases of front wheel disconnection. John Howard, a racer whose leg power exceeded his brain power, testified as an expert that QRs came loose, and therefore bicycles with QRs ought to have auxiliary retention devices, just as did bicycles with nutted axles.

Howard was wrong. QRs are made so that the use of the cam to grip the fork ends goes through a point of maximum tightness before completing the cam movement. Therefore, a QR that is hypothetically loosening itself has to get tighter still before becoming able to loosen itself. Therefore, it cannot do that of itself; it can be loosened only by use of the cam lever. I testified once that the instructions for using the QR, required by the CPSC for all the equipment on each particular bicycle, were defective, so that the user could think he had operated it properly but had not done so. I testified in another case about how a QR, once properly installed, could not come loose of itself.

I do not know how Wikipedia got its information about me and QRs. It could be that it read that I was an expert in one or more QR cases, without recognizing that I was defending the QR. Or, more likely, it read of my suit against the CPSC bicycle regulation. That regulation started out when the CPSC adopted the Bicycle Manufacturers' standard BMA/6 as the first version of the CPSC regulation. BMA/6 was not a safety standard; it was written to assure parents that American bicycles built according to BMA/6 were good durable machines, able to withstand the kind of use that children would apply to them. For example, BMA/6 had a front fork bending resistance test, designed to show that its front forks would withstand being ridden up curbs. The CPSC wrote that requirement into its regulation. But, by law, every requirement in the regulation had to be there for safety. The CPSC had the choice of either abandoning the front fork bending resistance test or inventing a safety reason for its existence. Rather than giving up the front fork bending resistance test, the CPSC invented the argument that the front fork bending resistance test prevented the cyclist from flying forward when the front wheel hit a wall or a parked car. Any first-year student in physics or engineering ought to know better than that, but lawyers argued that since the CPSC advanced that argument it had to be held valid. The CPSC regulation was littered with errors like that; it was not at all a safety regulation. I sued the CPSC to try to get these errors straightened out. I managed for only four of them. Lawyers have a rather different view of the physical universe than do scientists.

--
John Forester, MS, PE
Bicycle Transportation Engineer

Paul Wendt

Apr 26, 2017, 2:02:01 PM4/26/17
to John Forester, Serge Issakov, Cabo Forum
Thank you John, for this detailed description of how this fiasco came to be!

I especially enjoyed your "John Howard, a racer whose leg power exceeded his brain power, testified as an expert that QRs came loose..."

...and "Lawyers have a rather different view of the physical universe than do scientists.", to which I agree completely!

As to Wikipedia, it's correctable, and allows editing by anyone. I suggest that you edit the entry on QRs to be correct.

thanks!
Paul

judyf...@att.net

Apr 26, 2017, 2:10:46 PM4/26/17
to Paul Wendt, John Forester, Serge Issakov, Cabo Forum
Yes please fix the alternate facts for posterity.

Sent from my not so Smartphone.  Please excuse brief responses and typos.