CVC 22502 typo?

Serge Issakov

Aug 1, 2022, 10:42:58 PM8/1/22
to Cabo Forum
22502, which regulates curb parking, has  been modified to account for roads where there is a Class IV between the parking and the curb.  You know, “parking protected bikeways”. But I think they flubbed it and inadvertently made it lawful to park vehicles in Class IV bikeways.

“Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway with adjacent curbs or class IV bikeways, as defined in Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, shall be stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to, and within 18 inches of, the right-hand curb or the right-hand edge of the class IV bikeway, …”

Don’t they mean “within 18 inches of .. the left-hand edge of the class IV bikeway”?

If you ever get a ticket for parking in a Class IV bikeway just point out it was impossible to park “ within 18 inches of, the right-hand curb or the right-hand edge of the class IV bikeway, …” without parking inside of the bikeway. LOL!

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH§ionNum=22502.&highlight=true&keyword=Class%20IV%20bikeway%20

Gary Cziko

Aug 1, 2022, 11:21:48 PM8/1/22
to serge....@gmail.com, Cabo Forum
Serge,

It seems to me they are using “right-hand” from the perspective of the motorist which does make some sense—a right-hand bikeway edge or curb from the motorist’s perspective in the parking lane is the left-hand edge or curb from the perspective of the cyclist.

But what about when parking on an upgrade or downgrade with a curb between the parking lane and Class IV bikeway? Illegal to angle your front wheels to the left (upgrade) or right (downgrade) to prevent a rollaway since then the right-hand wheel would not be parallel to the to the curb.

—Gary

Gary Cziko ("ZEE-ko"), Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus

Board of Directors, California Association of Bicycle Organizations (CABObike.org)
CyclingSavvy Instructor (CSI)
Board of Directors, American Bicycling Education Association (March 2015 - August 2021)
Expert Witness for Cyclists' Rights

Clinton Sandusky

Aug 1, 2022, 11:38:15 PM8/1/22
to gcz...@gmail.com, serge....@gmail.com, Cabo Forum
Serge and Gary,

In reading this 22502 Section several times, it is clear a typo or legislative confusion occurred!  Should read: "...   the right-hand curb or the right- left-hand edge of the class IV bikeway,..."  Probably.

Clint

Serge Issakov

Aug 2, 2022, 12:36:43 AM8/2/22
to Gary Cziko, Cabo Forum
Gary,

Let’s say we’re standing next to each other both facing the same direction with you on the left. I raise my hand nearest to you. From your perspective was it the “right hand of Serge” that was raised, or “the left hand of Serge”?

They don’t get to say “right–hand edge of the class IV bikeway” when they mean the “left-hand edge of the class IV bikeway”.  The perspective of the driver doesn’t switch the left and right edges of the bikeway.

They do say “right-hand curb” and that’s relative to the driver. But there’s also a left-hand curb so there’s a point to that usage. And they’re not saying “right-hand curb of the sidewalk”. That “of the bikeway” makes the “right-hand edge” be relative to the bikeway.

What about:

“… and within 18 inches of, the right-hand curb or the right-hand class IV bikeway, …”

But the real line that’s relevant here is the left edge of the right-hand buffer separating the roadway from the bikeway. That’s another quiver for supporting the argument that the buffer is part of the bikeway, in which case my suggested language above works.

As it stands it’s lawful to park in Class IV bikeways.

Serge

F Lehnerz

Aug 2, 2022, 1:46:25 AM8/2/22
to serge....@gmail.com, Cabo Forum
Visually:
image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Serge Issakov

Aug 2, 2022, 1:57:13 AM8/2/22
to F Lehnerz, Cabo Forum
That’s right but I think the main point is this:

Gary Cziko

Aug 2, 2022, 2:05:18 AM8/2/22
to serge....@gmail.com, Cabo Forum, F Lehnerz
Serge,

I agree with you. CVC 22502 makes parking in a Class IV bikeways legal!

And that’s consistent with parking allowed in Class II bike lanes unless otherwise posted.

Once again, California leads the nation!

—Gary

Frank J. Lehnerz

Aug 2, 2022, 2:41:19 AM8/2/22
to Gary Cziko, serge....@gmail.com, Cabo Forum
Well, and to add insult to injury, Serge, Jim, others' and myself's local Bicycle Coalition recently gathered the troops via a propaganda-filled coup to remove those of us who have the kind of attention to detail to see these sorts of things.
Years ago, they also voted to also terminate their CABO membership because CABO (and not themselves) looked at the proposed laws behind separated bikeways using principles over platitudes and concluded there were significant issues. The activists were triggered by this discovery of the truth.
These folks don't pay attention to such details nor think about downstream effects of their actions, nor operate on principles. They exhibit ultra high time preference fiat "thinking" which results in short term gains for themselves at the expense of everybody else. And "thinking" here is used here as a compliment.
The irony of course being these folks make the "battle" between road users worse by promoting literal segregation and alienating different road users. Not to mention catastrophizing the risks of bicycling and trying to make bicyclists dependent on the parasitic State and associated rent-seekers for their subjective emotional safety over objective safety.
And this was labeled as "progressive intersectional bicycle advocacy," yet when supporters (some of who happen to be racist, classist, ageist, and sexist)  were asked what the hell this even meant, they replied with a torrent of Orwellian bovine excrement.

Frank