Audible Edge Line versus Raised Barriers

Jim Baross

May 29, 2024, 12:37:44 PMMay 29
to Cabo Forum, San Diego Bike Forum
In our efforts to address the raised barrier hazards from some types of raised barriers being used on some CycleTracks/Separated Bikeways, we could offer Audible Tactile Edge Lines, which Keri Caffrey/ABEA informed us about today, as a safer but still effective alternative for Separated Bikeways—comfort without an introduced hazard.
The AEL discourages MV incursion while not introducing a fall hazard for bicyclists. The AELs should not be confused with Rumble Strips though similar.
Yes, AELs don't stop inadvertent incursions, but neither do the Flex Posts.

"Audio tactile line markings are small raised white bumps adjacent to line markings. These audible line markings alert motorists through both sound and vibration when they are veering out of their lane into oncoming traffic or the edge of the road."

Jim Baross
Board Member, League of American Bicyclists
President, Calif. Assoc. of Bicycling Organizations
Board Member, San Diego County Bicycle Coalition

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack
05/29/24, 09:36:34 AM

Frank Lehnerz

May 30, 2024, 10:49:01 AMMay 30
to CABOforum
Looks great for places that see no snow but for snowy places, they'd be caught and likely removed by snowplows.