Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach

Bolloy Benders Family

Jul 22, 2021, 1:43:33 PM7/22/21
BBC.COM
Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance
BBC News

Thousands of names and addresses belonging to UK customers of a
leading website for buying and selling shotguns and rifles have been
published to the dark web following a "security breach".

Guntrader.uk told the BBC it learned of the breach on Monday and had
notified the Information Commissioner's Office.

Police, including the National Crime Agency, are investigating.

One affected gun owner said he was afraid the breach could lead to his
family being targeted by criminals.

Gun ownership is tightly controlled in the UK, making guns difficult
to acquire, and potentially valuable on the black market.

The individual, who did not wish to be named, told the BBC the breach
"seriously compromises my security arrangements for my firearms and
puts me in a situation where me and my family could be targeted and in
danger".

Guntrader.uk said around 100,000 customer records were stolen but "no
information relating to gun ownership or the location of firearms was
taken".

Nevertheless, the stolen data will include many people who do own
firearms, and shooting organisations are urging caution.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) is urging
its members "to be vigilant around home security" following the
breach.

In a statement published on its website, it said personal data had
been listed on "on a hackers' website".

"Our advice to members would be to check home security and be extra
vigilant. Make sure all firearms are appropriately locked away and
make sure buildings are kept secure", it wrote.

The investigation into the breach is being led by the South West
Regional Cyber Crime Unit (SWRCCU).

It is being assisted by the National Crime Agency who told the BBC:
"We are working closely with the organisation [guntrader] and the
SWRCCU to better understand the incident and manage any potential
impact."

Police reiterated security advice to shotgun owners, and urged that
they report any suspicious activity.

Locked away

The BASC told the BBC that gun laws require firearms to be securely
locked away when not in use, adding that the majority of police forces
will come out and check your security arrangements prior to granting a
firearms certificate.

Guntrader's Simon Baseley told the BBC it had advised users to be
vigilant, and was working closely with relevant agencies to mitigate
the impact.

He said it was the first time in 20 years an attempt to bypass the
firm's security had succeeded.

"All the indications currently are that the breach was neither
political nor commercial as there has been no attempt to extort money
from either guntrader.uk or its users, or make other capital from the
theft," he added.
--

)" .
/ \ (\-./
| | .-" y)-
| |/ _/ \
\ /j _".\(@)
\ ( | `.'' )
\ _`- | /
" `-._ <_ (
`-.,),)
Created with https://www.textpad.com
and
https://www.forteinc.com/agent/

Text-Drivers R Killers

Jul 25, 2021, 8:10:26 AM7/25/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

What about the hack of the NRA mailing list complete with the data from their
latest gun survey?

Some say that Homeland Security has it back for safe keeping, so no worries.

Text-Drivers R Killers

Aug 3, 2021, 9:48:20 PM8/3/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Aug 31, 2021, 1:56:40 PM8/31/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Sep 19, 2021, 11:53:18 AM9/19/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Oct 9, 2021, 11:58:47 AM10/9/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Nov 5, 2021, 5:51:24 PM11/5/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Nov 13, 2021, 5:08:16 PM11/13/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Nov 21, 2021, 8:05:50 PM11/21/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Dec 7, 2021, 4:26:11 PM12/7/21
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Jan 9, 2022, 10:06:46 PM1/9/22
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Jan 10, 2022, 5:54:44 PM1/10/22
Bolloy Benders Family wrote

> Gun owners' fears after firearms dealer data breach
> By Holly Clemens & Chris Vallance

Text-Drivers R Killers

Feb 10, 2022, 4:35:51 PM2/10/22