CrossRef for Code4Lib Journal?

Jodi Schneider

Feb 22, 2010, 12:04:20 PM2/22/10
to Anna Tolwinska, c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
Anna,

Thanks very much for the literature -- it's out on the literature table here at the conference. And thanks again for sponsoring the conference! I hope Code4Lib and CrossRef will have more interactions in the future (and especially that Karl and others will get to Code4Lib2011).

I've now got a question about DOI fees -- Could you please direct this to the right person?

I'm investigating CrossRef fees for the Code4Lib Journal - which is talking about issuing DOIs. We're a small open access journal started in 2007:
http://journal.code4lib.org/

We don't have a budget - the conference is the only aspect of Code4Lib with money changing hands.

It looks like the costs would be:
  • $275/year
  • $1.00 for each 2008-current article and volume (we don't have issues)
  • .15 for each pre-2008 article and volume.
  • free for the Journal title
In terms of responsibilities, it looks like we would be responsible for
  • linking references using DOIs where available. (after 18 months: subject to 22 cents per deposited article, if we're not linking a majority of journal content)
  • using only one DOI per item (subject to $2 conflict penalty fee if we fail)
  • ensuring that DOIs retrieve the article (technically at least the metadata, but we're open access)
  • depositing metadata into CrossRef
  • transfering DOI ownership to another entity if we ceased to exist
  • attempting to ensure continuation of our archives
To set this up we would need
So far I've seen
Is there anything I'm missing, or other information we should review?

Thanks again!
-Jodi

Jodi Schneider

Feb 22, 2010, 4:49:39 PM2/22/10
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
To add DOIs, I'm estimating startup cost of $351 and ongoing cost of $325/year. The largest portion is the annual fee, which is per publisher. (Not sure if we could get counted with some other org for this purpose.) We'd also have to add DOIs to our backfiles, and check for DOIs in references.

Here's where I get those numbers:

Startup cost: $351
$275/year + 75.20 DOI fees for 74 articles, 8 volumes, 1 journal:

DOIs
8 pre-2008 articles @ .15 = $1.20
66 2008-2010 articles @ $1 = $66
8 volumes @$1 = $8
1 journal @$0 = $0

Ongoing cost: $325/year
ongoing costs: $275/year + $1/article
4 issues at 8 articles each = $32 +$8 = 40 in DOI fees
4 issues at 12 articles each = $48 + $8 = 56 in DOI fees

FYI, response from CrossRef below.

-Jodi

Feb 22, 2010, 6:32:53 PM2/22/10
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2010, at 4:49 PM, Jodi Schneider wrote:

> To add DOIs, I'm estimating startup cost of $351 and ongoing cost of $325/year. The largest portion is the annual fee, which is per publisher. (Not sure if we could get counted with some other org for this purpose.) We'd also have to add DOIs to our backfiles, and check for DOIs in references.
>
> Here's where I get those numbers:
>
> Startup cost: $351
> $275/year + 75.20 DOI fees for 74 articles, 8 volumes, 1 journal:
>
> DOIs
> 8 pre-2008 articles @ .15 = $1.20
> 66 2008-2010 articles @ $1 = $66
> 8 volumes @$1 = $8
> 1 journal @$0 = $0
>
> Ongoing cost: $325/year
> ongoing costs: $275/year + $1/article
> 4 issues at 8 articles each = $32 +$8 = 40 in DOI fees
> 4 issues at 12 articles each = $48 + $8 = 56 in DOI fees

This is all very interesting -- getting charged for a unique identifier.

That aside, this is what I suggest:

1) Evaluate whether or not the services we get for a DOI is worth the cost. Keep in mind that after three years we will have spent close to $1,000. Will we (or the community at large) have received $1,000 of benefits?

2) If we determine the benefits are not worth the costs, then done -- exit( 0 );

3) Figure out how to raise the initial capital. I'd be willing to spend some money towards this effort. Others may be so inclined as well.

4) If we raise enough cash, then "subscribe" for the coming year.

5) Figure out how we are going to pay for subsequent years. I suggest the money come off the top of the conference fees. That's an increase of about $2/person. No?

6) Outline an exit strategy; do not commit to doing this work forever. Instead, make a commitment for a limited period of time, say five years (after which we will have spent close to $1,600), and then evaluate whether or not the whole thing is worth it. In other words, after a pre-defined period of time, go to Step #1.

--
Eric Morgan

Jonathan Brinley

Feb 22, 2010, 10:11:39 PM2/22/10
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
>  1) Evaluate whether or not the services we get for a DOI is worth the cost. Keep in mind that after three years we will have spent close to $1,000. Will we (or the community at large) have received $1,000 of benefits?
>
>  2) If we determine the benefits are not worth the costs, then done -- exit( 0 );

What benefits do we (the community) receive? Why do we need another
identifier for an article? We already have the URL. Perhaps there's
more to DOI that I don't see, but I don't see a redundant identifier
being worth anywhere near $300+/yr.

>  3) Figure out how to raise the initial capital. I'd be willing to spend some money towards this effort. Others may be so inclined as well.

>  5) Figure out how we are going to pay for subsequent years. I suggest the money come off the top of the conference fees. That's an increase of about $2/person. No?

I'll probably get lynched for saying this, but here we go:
advertising. If my personal blog can make $300/yr with a few sidebar
links (easily hidden with Adblock), surely the Code4Lib Journal can
sustain itself. And if it can't, oh well, we don't really need DOI.

Have a nice day,
Jonathan

--
Jonathan M. Brinley

jonatha...@gmail.com
http://xplus3.net/

Carol Bean

Feb 22, 2010, 10:49:28 PM2/22/10
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Jonathan Brinley wrote:
>> <snip>

> I'll probably get lynched for saying this, but here we go:
> advertising. If my personal blog can make $300/yr with a few sidebar
> links (easily hidden with Adblock), surely the Code4Lib Journal can
> sustain itself. And if it can't, oh well, we don't really need DOI.

O.K., where's the rope?

JK. My prob with the idea is the advertisers: allow anyone? limit?
who decides?

Or am I just being naive?

Carol Bean
bean...@gmail.com

Jonathan Rochkind

Feb 23, 2010, 1:14:02 AM2/23/10
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't want advertisers. It's more work for us to need to maintain them and such, as well as me just not really liking having advertising.

In general, I think we've done well by keeping ourselves pretty lightweight. I am reluctant to add in a lot more work or tasks we need to do, such as incorporating legally, so we can sell advertising, that we'll have t maintain advertising revenue for, so we can use it to pay for DOIs, that once gotten add additional obligations to us to add a DOI for every reference in our articles. It's like a whole chain of new obligations.

Feb 23, 2010, 8:56:48 AM2/23/10
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
talking point for breakout today?

Carol

Carol Bean
bean...@gmail.com

Jonathan Rochkind

Feb 23, 2010, 1:04:14 PM2/23/10
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
We could easily spend hte entire session arguing about DOI. I wonder if there are other topics that we especially want to take advantage of an in person meeting to have, that email discussions are less suited for?

I'm still intersted, if any 'outsiders' come, in getting general feedback about the journal from our audience.