Re: Code4Lib Journal Call for Papers (proposals due mid-Jan, publication anticipated mid-Apr)

Peter Murray

Dec 12, 2012, 2:05:13 PM12/12/12
to Web technologies in libraries
Wei --

On Dec 12, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Wei Fang <wf...@RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:

> I would like to submit a proposal to this journal. But before I do that, would you please let me know whether or not this journal is considered as peer reviewed journal? My institution does not count non peer reviewed articles.

If you equate "peer review" with "blind peer review", then the answer is no. The Code4Lib Journal uses an open editorial process among the editorial committee, not a blind peer review process. The quick overview of how the journal is put together is here:

The Code4Lib Journal – Process and Structure
http://journal.code4lib.org/process-and-structure

A more complete view was just published this morning in the In the Library With the Lead Pipe journal:

Open Ethos Publishing at Code4Lib Journal and In the Library with the Lead Pipe
http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2012/open-ethos-publishing/

Peter
--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

LYRASIS: Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.

Jonathan Rochkind

Dec 12, 2012, 2:08:36 PM12/12/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
It's always weird to me when people ask this "whether or not this
journal is considered as peer reviewed journal?"

Well, considered that by whom?

I myself consider it a peer reviewed journal, does that answer his question?

No, he wants to know if his institution considers it that way. Well, I
guess you'd have to ask them.

But honestly, when I hear "My institution does not count non peer
reviewed articles," that makes me think the author is writing only to
satisfy a promotion policy, and is not actually motivated by wanting to
share information with the community -- which is likely to result in a
not very good article.

On 12/12/2012 2:05 PM, Peter Murray wrote:
> Wei --
>
> On Dec 12, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Wei Fang <wf...@RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to submit a proposal to this journal. But before I do
>> that, would you please let me know whether or not this journal is
>> considered as peer reviewed journal? My institution does not count
>> non peer reviewed articles.
>
> If you equate "peer review" with "blind peer review", then the answer
> is no. The Code4Lib Journal uses an open editorial process among the
> editorial committee, not a blind peer review process. The quick
> overview of how the journal is put together is here:
>
> The Code4Lib Journal � Process and Structure

Peter Murray

Dec 12, 2012, 2:19:24 PM12/12/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 12, 2012, at 2:08 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <roch...@jhu.edu> wrote:
> But honestly, when I hear "My institution does not count non peer
> reviewed articles," that makes me think the author is writing only to
> satisfy a promotion policy, and is not actually motivated by wanting to
> share information with the community -- which is likely to result in a
> not very good article.

That is sort of what I thought as well. The question did need an answer, though, even if it turned out to be unsatisfactory if one was looking for a black-and-white answer.

Jonathan Rochkind

Dec 12, 2012, 2:31:44 PM12/12/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com, Peter Murray
Yep, was not critisizing your answer!

Another way to answer would just be "Different people consider different
things peer-reviewed. Here is our wiki page outlining exactly how we
work, you can decide for yourself if we're peer reviewed, or ask your
institution if we meet their requirements."

Basically what you did answer, but completely punting, not even
suggesting "Not if you mean blinded". Not our problem what his
institution considers peer-reviewed or not (His institution probably
doesn't know themselves!).

Tod Olson

Dec 12, 2012, 2:34:42 PM12/12/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com, Tod Olson, Peter Murray
In answering these questions from potential authors, it may also be useful to refer to Ed Corrado's editorial for issue 10, where he took up the peer review question:

http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/3277

-Tod

Jonathan Rochkind

Dec 12, 2012, 2:36:38 PM12/12/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com, Tod Olson
I also took it up on a blog post, if you're curious, although yeah,
obviously not a statement from the Journal itself like Ed's editorial
sort of is.

http://bibwild.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/code4lib-journal-and-peer-review/

Peter Murray

Dec 13, 2012, 10:09:26 AM12/13/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
All good suggestions -- I'll keep them in mind if the question comes up again. Thanks, Jonathan and Tod.

Peter

Jodi Schneider

Dec 13, 2012, 2:02:59 PM12/13/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps it's worth adding a page with links to these? -Jodi

Peter Murray

Dec 14, 2012, 9:01:05 AM12/14/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
Good point -- I updated the Process-and-Structure page:

http://journal.code4lib.org/process-and-structure#EditorialProcess

Peter

Jodi Schneider

Dec 14, 2012, 9:20:50 AM12/14/12
to c4lj-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter! :) -Jodi

Peter Murray

Jan 7, 2013, 10:28:05 AM1/7/13
to c4lj-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion Group
We haven't received a overwhelming number of submissions for the Code4Lib Journal issue #20, so I've reposted the call-for-papers to the usual places. If you've got something to share with colleagues or know of someone that does, please let us know.