[C320-list] Electrical wire gauge

John Meyers

Aug 8, 2021, 2:20:33 PM8/8/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I am inventorying onto a spreadsheet all the DC and maybe AC elements of my
1997 #406.

Does anyone know the gauge of the cables are that come away from the switch
panel? The factory diagrams don't give a clue. I think that the breakers
are 20 amp. Does anyone know for sure. Is there any additional
documentation on the wiring detail?

By the way, when I am done with this project I plan to share this
spreadsheet with the association. It has all of my DC devices etc listed
with wire gauge, length of wire, connections, fuse size, etc.

Thank you.

John Meyers
Wind Chime 1997 #406
Muskegon, MI

Kim Chapman

Aug 8, 2021, 3:45:45 PM8/8/21
to c320-list
John, if the breaker is 20 amps then the wire should be at least 12
AWG. Remember, the fuse protects the wires, not the other way around.

Kim Chapman
C320 #416
No Pressure

John Meyers

Aug 8, 2021, 7:19:57 PM8/8/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Kim,

That makes sense. Next time at the boat I will try to verify the gauge
somehow. I am hoping the coating indicates AWG or I can use a caliper.

John Meyers