[C320-list] bilge alarm and counter?

Scott Westwood

May 13, 2022, 9:08:07 AM5/13/22
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I am in the process of adding a second (Backup) bilge pump.  I am looking for ideas/experiences for any audible alarm and/or counter people have/like and why.So far I see Aqualarm and Skippers as some of the prime brands.
In a perfect world (money no object) I would want a "different" audible alarm for each pump.  Assuming one pump will come on first then ONLY if that fails would the second one come on.  And a counter to monitor any pumping when gone from boat for a long time.  Also monitoring both pumps from single display for minimal panel footprint.  Also  it would be nice to have it all connect to the house wifi (NOT Cellular- monthly fees)to contact me if it runs while away from slip.
This is all pie-in-the-sky.  Because of the costs I have seen, I will likely go with just an audible alarm so I can hear the bilge running while in the cockpit.  Maybe also a counter. Since the bilge is almost always dry except while motoring I may only go with the audible???  Still chewing on it.
Thoughts out there?

Thanks,

Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794

RONALD HODEL

May 13, 2022, 9:20:19 AM5/13/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
I installed a 3700 gph pump high up in the bilge with it’s own audible alarm. It has its own discharge hose running to the stern (with a 2 foot head and appropriate back flow arresters installed.) My other pump, the diaphragm pump that came with the boat is loud enough to wake the world when it turn on so, no audible alarm on that one. I keep a dry bilge as well, other than testing the pumps every once in a while so that I know they work. I don’t have a counter nor am I connected with WiFi. I’ve thought that would be nice but I’m down to the boat pretty much every day and so if there’s any residual water in the bilge, I’ll know I’ve got an issue.

Ron Hodel
1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPad

> On May 13, 2022, at 6:08 AM, Scott Westwood <scottw...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> I am in the process of adding a second (Backup) bilge pump. I am looking for ideas/experiences for any audible alarm and/or counter people have/like and why.So far I see Aqualarm and Skippers as some of the prime brands.

cini...@btinternet.com

May 13, 2022, 9:26:52 AM5/13/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Scott,
If you are into electronic tinkering then you can create bilge pump counter from a dollar store pedometer, some thin enamelled copper wire and a reed switch (often found in dollar store door/window alarms)

Inside the pedometer you locate the contacts that are "made" to increment the counter - there's usually a little weight on a spring that acts as the switch. Remove the weighted arm and attach either side of the contacts to each end of the reed switch after having first wound a whole bunch of copper wire around the reed body. How much? Well you need to experiment a bit because you want the reed to activate with a tiny (say 30mA) current at 12 volts because you are going to attach the copper wire and an in-line 200 to 400Ohm resistor to either side of the lamp on your panel that indicates the bilge pump is running.
This diagram shows the layout where the relay element is the reed switch with wire around it.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2017/october/how-to-monitor-your-bilge-pump

I made one in about an hour...

Chris Nichols (AmandaRose 476)
+44 7963 190 667