[C320-list] Anchor Chain Question.

Ian Neale

Mar 20, 2021, 3:53:50 AMMar 20
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi,

I currently have a 15 kg Rocna anchor with 40 m of 8 mm chain and 30 m of rope. I am wanting to convert to an all chain rode of 70 m so we don’t have to transfer between rope and chain on the windless.

I am concerned about the extra weight of the additional chain in the anchor locker. Has anyone got an all chain set up 70 or more meters in length?

Thanks in advance for you comments.

Ian Neale.

Hull #1122, Solutions.

Sent from. my iPhone

John morrison

Mar 20, 2021, 8:38:59 AMMar 20
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have 130’ of 1/4” high tensile chain and 200’ of 3strand nylon rode. Also the Rocna 15kg anchor. No issues at all with the weight and I’ve never had to put all the chain out where we sail in NE Lake Ontario.
Regards
JohnM
1999#574

pto...@4square.net

Mar 20, 2021, 8:49:15 AMMar 20
to C320...@catalina320.com
Here is a weight rating for chain that might help.
Looks like you'll be adding about 70kg (30m x 2.3kg per) to the bow so that'd be one "able bodied" crewmember on the bow 😉

https://jimmygreen.com/content/217-calibrated-anchor-chain-break-load-and-weight-guide#:~:text=Quick%20Glance%20Comparison%20%20%20%20Chain%20Size,%20%206300kg%20%203%20more%20rows%20