[C320-list] Stuffing box

Kim Chapman

Aug 23, 2021, 10:31:28 AM8/23/21
to C320
Would someone know the correct size of packing for our stuffing box ? I
believe it is either 3/16" or 1/4".

Thanks !

Kim Chapman
C320 #416
No Problem

C400 #249
Quiescence

Graeme Clark

Aug 23, 2021, 10:34:53 AM8/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
1/4 on mine (366)
Graeme

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!

> On 23 Aug 2021, at 15:31, Kim Chapman <kim.c...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>  Would someone know the correct size of packing for our stuffing box ? I

RONALD HODEL

Aug 23, 2021, 10:46:10 AM8/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
1/4” but I made due with 3/16” once when that was all that was available when we were in Mexico

Ron Hodel
#1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 23, 2021, at 7:34 AM, Graeme Clark <c...@skyflyer.co.uk> wrote:
>
> 1/4 on mine (366)

Dave Hupe

Aug 23, 2021, 5:43:37 PM8/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
This is the Gore GFO packing I have used since buying our boat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015HU7EQA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#descriptionAndDetails  It is 3/16 " square cross section as specified by my boat manual; however, others use 1/4 " square packing.  There is less expensive packing available that sounds the same, but after excellent performance, I didn't want to try to penny pinch on this.
It is "braided from a filament yarn made from finely ground particles of high quality graphite encapsulated in a Teflon matrix to eliminate graphite migration".  My shaft is stainless steel (not original) and after replacing it following 3 season's of use, the shaft looked pristine. Also, the old packing I removed looked almost brand new. So, I probably could have continued to use it, but I figured replacement (easy) was a good maintenance step for about $7 per year.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)
Holland  MI