[C320-list] STOVE VALVES

John morrison

Sep 13, 2021, 7:37:27 AM9/13/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have been having trouble with the control valves on my stove of late. The valves are ceasing when they get hot and can’t be turned off until they cool down. Anyone experience this issue and engineered a fix?
JohnM
1999#574

Angus Henderson

Sep 13, 2021, 7:58:06 AM9/13/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have found then stuff to turn at times but have not ceased so far. However they have all broken and now held together with epoxy.
Can anyone provide the source and contact info to obtain new ones?
Angus
Hull #999
Georgian Bay

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 7:37 AM, John morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> I have been having trouble with the control valves on my stove of late. The valves are ceasing when they get hot and can’t be turned off until they cool down. Anyone experience this issue and engineered a fix?
> JohnM
> 1999#574

RONALD HODEL

Sep 13, 2021, 8:18:13 AM9/13/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I might be confused but I think John is talking about the valves and not the plastic knobs, which, I imagine can break given enough torque. John, my valves get difficult to turn as well although we haven’t had one completely seize. Still, it’s so difficult, my wife, at those times, makes arguments for a new stove. Depending on answers, we just might go ahead and do that. We cook a lot on the boat both with the stove and the oven.

Ron Hodel
Lokomaikai #1070

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 4:58 AM, Angus Henderson <rath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have found then stuff to turn at times but have not ceased so far. However they have all broken and now held together with epoxy.

Guy Smith

Sep 13, 2021, 9:52:21 AM9/13/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, sail-a...@sympatico.ca
Hey John,

I rebuilt the valve with High Pressure/Temperature grease. This was
recommended by the company that used to have rebuild kits for the valves.
The valve seats may be dry and lock up when heated. Have had no problems in
a few years.... The shipping cost was more than the product. :)

[image: McMaster-Carr]

609-689-3000
609-259-3575 (fax)
nj.s...@mcmaster.com

1962N11 <https://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=1962N11> High-Pressure
Food-Grade Bearing Grease, 0.2 oz. Syringe

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 7:37 AM John morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca>

John morrison

Sep 15, 2021, 5:37:49 PM9/15/21
to Guy Smith, C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks for all your thoughts/experiences. I have replaced all of the solenoid and regulator components as well as the hosing to the stove. I was not able to find a recommendation as to when the propane hosing should be replaced but at 22 years I’m guessing it’s not too soon. I’ve looked at the control valves on the stove and it looks not too difficult a job. I’ve got the high temp grease so will get at it.
Thanks
JohnM
1999#574