[C320-list] Spares List

Tim Van de Water via C320-list

Jul 19, 2024, 10:48:41 AM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Tim Van de Water
I have appreciated the recent thread on the tools you carry. As a
relatively new C-320 owner (acquired Coda #537 last August), I would
appreciate a list of the spares you carry. I've got an impeller spare, a
belt for the water pump/alternator, some light bulbs, some cotter pins, and
a handful of shackles/rigging spares.

What are you carrying and how/where are you storing it?

Regards,

*Tim Van de Water*SV Coda #537
404.790.2208
tj.van...@gmail.com

Christian via C320-list

Jul 19, 2024, 10:59:00 AM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Christian
Comment on impeller and belt spare. My opinion is that impellers should be
changed at regular intervals (1-2 years, depending on your risk
acceptance), and if changed regularly, spare impeller should not be
needed. Aslo the rubber on the impeller does age, so your spare could
become a risk for torn fins clogging your system if used and it's old. Age
is also a factor for belts. But I do think a spare belt should be
onboard. What I do is change my belt every 2 years, and keep the old one
as my spare. Should I ever need to fall back on my spare belt in open
water, it would be replaced as soon as I can with a fresh belt.

Another important tool I recommend carrying is 2 adjustable slim wrenches
for tightening the nut on your stuffing box.
Christian 1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL

Jack Brennan via C320-list

Jul 19, 2024, 11:35:26 AM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jack Brennan
If you have a head that is older, it's a good idea to buy a complete pump unit as a spare, not the service kit.

The complete unit is not much more expensive than the service kit, and just bolting on a new unit is much easier than fooling with seals, etc.

On one cruise, I discovered just how important a functioning head was. The pump broke, and we wound up using a bucket. My wife was definitely not happy, and the trip was cut short just for that reason.

I also have several belts, impellers, a container of motor oil, coolant, rescue tape, hose clamps, duct tape, a sail repair kit, lots and lots of line, several fuel filters, a couple of boxes of assorted nuts, bolts and screws, and much, much more.

Part of the area we sail is Ten Thousand Islands, the western edge of the Everglades, and we are out of cell phone and VHF range for a couple of days. If something breaks, you have to be prepared to fix it yourself.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
________________________________
Jul 19, 2024, 12:22:43 PM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Brian McLamb
Depends upon your engine. I have a Yanmar and they sell an emergency kit
for my engine. It includes belts filters (oil and diesel) and impeller.
Each spring I remove old from engine and insert from emergency kit. Then
replenish the emergency kit with any part used. This means my spares are
new and old 1 year old
S/V Serenity #1075

Brian McLamb

Bob Borelli via C320-list

Jul 19, 2024, 4:23:13 PM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Bob Borelli
I keep on my boat:
(2) Primary & (2) Secondary fuel filters.
Instruction on to change & bleed fuel system.
Wrenches required / small funnel / empty plastic bottle.
Clamp wrench to remove Racor filter.
Awl & ball peen hammer in case wrench does not remove filter.
White pig towels that only absorb fuel & oil.
Spray Nine Marine cleaner / Blue Shop towels / Plastic gloves / Plastic trash bags.

(4) small bright flashlights.
(2) raw water pump impellers / long nose plier to pull out / gasket / socket to remove cover /Lube to coat new impeller.
Fan belt & wrenches to move alternator.
WD-40 small can.

Multi-meter! / First Aid Kit! / Log Book / Kroil spray / Sailing gloves.

I minimize what I keep onboard, only what I need, store in out of way, sounds like alot, but not:
Tool box / Ratchet & wrench box / 12 volt tool box / multi-compartment screws, nuts, bolts / pipe tool box
5/8" reinforced tube slide over 15MM tubing with clamps.
Wood bungs / (2) inflatable PFD re-arm kits / extra start keys / Heavy needle & thread

Basic tools essential like screw drivers, utility knife with extra blades, hack saw blade.
Generally, only keep onboard what I learn to need for sailing, cruising.
I met a sailor once had a sailing hardware store. I keep in mind I want to sail this boat, keep it clear, but keep what's needed.
What do you need extra shackles for? Got extra short Phillips screw driver to open mast gate?
Extra mast gate screws. Got gloves to pull anchor rode? Sailkote for main sail lugs? Tools fall overboard easily.
Tie wraps / 2' & 4' lengths of rope ready for use.
Small bottle motor oil, Prestone 50/50, gearbox lube.
Clear Gorilla tape / electric tape.

I should prepare inventory. Don't' need it, don't keep it onboard.
I completed an inventory list of my safety equipment.
I sail alone. But when I do have company I point what & where safety items.

Inventory list for tool onboard a good idea! thank you!

Bob Borelli 1995 C320 no. 209 'Elusive' Perkins M30 moored on the Sassafras.

________________________________
Jul 19, 2024, 4:47:15 PM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Bob Borelli
PAR Handy Boy brass hand pump.
With clear red reinforced hose clamped to both ends
with 12" of 1/2' copper tubing clamped to the hose at either end.

this way I can hand pump bilge water from under the holding tank or
under the galley sink cabinet into the galley sink drain.
And from the upper bilge pan.

That water that seeps in while operating the propellor shaft stuffing box
goes into the bilge.

Bob Borelli C320 no. 209
________________________________
Jul 19, 2024, 8:58:41 PM (4 days ago) Jul 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, ART HARDEN
I cut off the bottom of a 1 gallon jug about 3 inches high to just fit underneath the stuffing box. It serves two purposes one it gives me an idea of the rate and which the stuffing box leaks, and it also catches the water before getting into the bilge. Generally, I do not get enough to overflow the pan and just pump it out before the next trip out. The stuffing box is usually tightened enough that it does not drip when stationary, but does lubricate shaft when running. also I have a feathering prop so that eliminates the rotation while Sailing.

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62
937.885.9380 (o)
937.477.5544 (m)

> On Jul 19, 2024, at 4:46 PM, Bob Borelli via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> PAR Handy Boy brass hand pump.

Tim Van de Water via C320-list

Jul 20, 2024, 12:12:25 PM (3 days ago) Jul 20
to C320...@catalina320.com, Tim Van de Water
Thanks, Captains! I appreciate the thoughtful replies.

*Tim Van de Water*SV Coda #537
404.790.2208
tj.van...@gmail.com

On Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 8:56 PM ART HARDEN via C320-list <