[C320-list] Outlet Wiring

Jeff Smith via C320-list

Jul 6, 2024, 9:45:08 AMJul 6
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Smith
To all,

We just returned from the boat. Yesterday we had an a/c unit plugged into the kitchen outlet and then my wife plugged an electric kettle into the GFCI outlet at the Nav Station. Apparently this was too much current draw. Now, none of the outlets don’t work. The push button breaker on the main panel did reset. I also measured 120v at the top of the breaker in the panel (by probing the two wires on top). I know I have 110 coming into the boat, as the battery charger was operating. I did not have the wiring diagram with me, though now that I am home, I now have access to the wiring schematics. The boat is 3.5 hours away, so I am trying to get everything I need before I go back to repair.

A few questions:
1. I am thinking that If the main outlet circuit breaker (the 15 amp) was blown, it would not reset. Does that make sense?

If that is the case, then I can only surmise that either we burnt up a wire (and thankfully did not start a fire), most likely the wire from the circuit breaker into the outlet buss bar, or that the outlet buss bar is toast (which seems less likely).

2. If the push button on the circuit breaker will stay in even if blown, then the breaker seems the most likely culprit. I am assuming the easiest way to test this is to remove the circuit breaker from circuit temporarily (wire the two blacks together) and see if I get power to the other outlets.
3. Initially, my thought was the GFCI at the Nav station was first in line, with all outlets in series. However, my wiring diagram shows the galley from one lug of the buss bar, and the rest of the outlets from a second lug on the buss bar. Am I correct that the galley branch should not affect the Nav station branch, and vice versa?

FInal question:
4. The GFCI at the Nav Station would not reset. Assuming this outlet is bad, can I replace this with any GFCI, or do I need a special outlet for boats?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jeff

Brian McLamb via C320-list

Jul 6, 2024, 9:53:01 AMJul 6
to C320...@catalina320.com, Brian McLamb
Have you already checked the breaker switch in aft locker near shore
power supply? If that trips off everything shuts down until you switch it
back.

Brian McLamb

Dave Hupe via C320-list

Jul 6, 2024, 9:56:15 AMJul 6
to C320...@catalina320.com, Dave Hupe
Jeff-
Look at every outlet you have.  I had a problem years ago and it was not controlled by just one GFCI. I think there is one inside the kitchen cabinet above the dry box. Definitely check the head GFCI.
I am away and can't  give any more guidance without looking myself.
Dave
Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

On Sat, Jul 6, 2024 at 9:45 AM, Jeff Smith via C320-list<c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote: To all,

--Bill via C320-list

Jul 6, 2024, 9:16:34 PMJul 6
to C320...@catalina320.com, --Bill
According to my wiring diagram there should be one gfci for galley and separate gfci for the head. One shouldn’t affect the other. I’m just going from the diagram; I haven’t checked to verify it was really wired that way. I can go to boat to check it if needed.

A household gfci is acceptable.

—Bill Ackerman

> On Jul 6, 2024, at 9:55 AM, Dave Hupe via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> Jeff-

Doris Misadventure via C320-list

Jul 7, 2024, 5:04:51 AMJul 7
to C320...@catalina320.com, Doris Misadventure
clar...@tpg.com.au

On Sun, 7 July 2024, 11:16 am --Bill via C320-list, <

ptormey 4square.net via C320-list

Jul 7, 2024, 7:17:47 AMJul 7
to C320...@catalina320.com, ptormey 4square.net
> remove the circuit breaker from circuit temporarily (wire the two blacks together) and see if I get power to the other outlets

DO NOT BAYPASS THE CIRCUIT BREAKER

In my Navy days we called this the smoke test because whatever caused the problem would catch fire.

The way to test the circuit breaker or any other eclectically device is with a multi meter or other 120volt test equipment.

Check the breaker under the port lazarette first.. You should also see the green light on the panel light up. If not reset that breaker.

The wire runs port and starboard are protected by GFI Outlets. One in the head the other n the galley. If either goes the entire side will go out.

if you don’t know how to use test equipment have somebody who does show you.

Pat
Pat Tormey
s/v Blues Skies
Newport RI

Jeff Smith via C320-list

Jul 7, 2024, 7:57:23 AMJul 7
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Smith
To all,

Thanks for the comments. I will follow up and let you guys know the culprit once I get back to the boat.

Jeff